Slams into Second Gear

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Hey Guys...I posted before about my stupid e4od, but i didn't get anything. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to answer any more of these sensor questions.

Anyway, converter clutch is still hunting, but I don't know why, FIPL wasn't the problem...i guess i should grab one of those code readers...i just was hoping for an easy fix.

I'm thinking it might be the Transmission Temperature Sensor...any thoughts?

It's also slamming into second gear every time i start moving from standstill, so i've been manually shifting it from 1st to 2nd.

I actually want to find a F-Series 4x2 manual trans and pop it in the van...that would make my dreams come true.

~Jeff

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Is the tach working? Please fill in your sigiture with truck/van info to give us some idea of what you are working on.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Sorry about that, been meaning to write that up.

1990 E-350 Superduty Extended Cab 7.3L IDI w/E4OD

I don't have a tach readout on my cluster...just a bunch of idiot lights.

So i'm not sure. I definately want to change that though, if possible.

Anyway...what to you think, trans temp or tach? Speedometer seems to be working.

~Jeff

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Is the OD light blinking? Did you change the FIPL? or check it? Was it set to the correct voltage? Not sure if the vans have the tach sensor or not I would think it should to provide the E4OD the correct info for shifting. It would be a onthe drivers side of the oil filler tube with a approx 1" hex with two wires going to a plug.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
OD light isn't blinking, meant to say that before.

I didn't replace the FIPL, i just made sure it was at the right voltages.

I'll check about that tach sensor, but i'm pretty sure i've got it, just don't have a readout.

THe converter clutch hunting doesn't happen until around 25-35 mph and once above that, it stopps. It also doesn't happen until the van's warmed up...so that's makin' me think it's the transmission temperature sensor, but i can't seem to find any info on how to swap it out.

~Jeff

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any E4OD equipped truck has a tach sensor, it is used by the computer to control shifts. Like any magnetic pulse sensor, they can fail.

"Replace the tach sender on the oil fill housing a big 1" nut with 2 wires. Ford only part Engine RPM sensor E5TZ-17B384-A about $50."

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
does the od light light up when you push the button??
sounds like your convertor is shot, trans is slipping and cpu is trying to compensate for it.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing the transmission can do to "compensate" is to go into "fail safe" mode which would give high, hard shifts.

A failed tach sensor will give the same symptoms that are described in the original post.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I had hard 1st to second shifting and my lcok up clutch was searching I.I cleaned every connector very thouroughly ans checked-changed the FIPL and it cured most of my problems.Now many miles later 200,000 it sfifts to softly for my satisfaction.Currently it shifts softly like a car should-towing I would prefer a firmer shift.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Awesome, $50 doesn't seem too bad. I'm on it. I think i'm gonna be workin' on the van all weekend, so hopefully i'll be back in just a little bit with results on the new tach sensor.

I was pretty sure that i'd heard that these e4od's had trans oil temp senders that are also part of the converter slip sequence, but i can't seem to find any info on it. The guy at napa said they'd nothing in the computer on it, just and engine oil temp and it wasn't even for the 7.3.

Hope napa has the tachs in stock.

~Jeff

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Tach Sensor is in...works like a charm. You guys are good! Thanks a million. I didn't realize it was going to be a 12 second job. It fixed both the TC hunting and the slam into second gear.

I think i'm going to keep the three way switch for the TC just so i can lock it up on the highway if i've got a long way to drive.

I also just got my pre-charged coolant in and my fancy-pants coolant filter (with supercool red hoses). Not really something where you're like "sweet, now i can _____", it just kinda sits there and filters...but i'm pretty psyched about it.

Thanks again for the help, i don't really give a crap about the TOT sensor anymore if it even exists.

~Jeff