single stack attack

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
mine goes to the y pipe, a few feet of 2-1/4, then we kinda spliced it up to 3" put a 90 degree bent above the driveshaft then i have dual 4" 45 cut flat black stacks! ;Sweet it looks a little small on an ex cab 250, but the 10' length of 4" was $45 and the 10' length of 5" was $130....cookoo

oh and it's all straight pipe, ain't too bad idling or crusing but if you get on it, people know, plus the crackle is schweet!

-Jon

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found a set of 5" stainless steel stacks for $150. They are 48" tall, and if I can talk the guy down a bit I might just get them. I want to run mine external and put heat guards around them so the once I do the tilt nose conversion it will look like a "mini-semi", except with 4 doors. I just need to figure out how to cross under the truck without hitting the driveline.

Nevermind... The guy just emailed back and said that he mislisted the stacks, and they are chrome.

Well, even if they were stainless (never seen any myself), I don't think running them outside would look any good - if you had a dually then yes, even fender flares like Darrin's Big Ed has would help a lot, but outside a smooth-side bed even with the 4-door cab they still won't look right, IMHO.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I agree with MLSC here, the external stack won't look quite right on the smooth side bed

I have a question regarding the exhaust tubing now, if I want to run a 4" from the manifolds back how would I make a reducer/adapter to be able to mount the 4" to the stock manifolds

Sorry bout the hijack

tractorman86

Reaction score
with lots of welding... factory pipe out of the manifold is 2.25 so it is a pretty big jump, you will just have to get creative. just remember going from a small pipe to a big pipe dosen't have to be a perfect smoothe transision

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Well, even if they were stainless (never seen any myself), I don't think running them outside would look any good - if you had a dually then yes, even fender flares like Darrin's Big Ed has would help a lot, but outside a smooth-side bed even with the 4-door cab they still won't look right, IMHO.

I have fender flares on the truck now. They stick out about 2" and I figured that I could get wider if needed. I just don't want to lose any bed space.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ask punkmechanic how he feels about his stacks now that he has done a long distance tow. And how would you put a camper in the truck, remove stacks put on regular exhaust, that would be silly.
Can you tell I dont like stacks.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Ask punkmechanic how he feels about his stacks now that he has done a long distance tow. And how would you put a camper in the truck, remove stacks put on regular exhaust, that would be silly.
Can you tell I dont like stacks.

I sold the camper I had, but do intend on getting a bumper pull of 5th wheel travel trailer soon.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have fender flares on the truck now. They stick out about 2" and I figured that I could get wider if needed. I just don't want to lose any bed space.
Well, 2" flares still won't make up for the 6" stacks and heat shields. Now if you plopped a dually rear axle under the truck, and put the single wheels on it, that will get you right at 7ft wide (you're at 6ft now), which will make for 6" flares, at least in the rear...

Ask punkmechanic how he feels about his stacks now that he has done a long distance tow. And how would you put a camper in the truck, remove stacks put on regular exhaust, that would be silly. Can you tell I dont like stacks.
Well the way he plans on running his, they will be out the way, especially if he gets turnouts so the smoke gets blown off to the side, instead of up in the camper.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the stacks I'm thinking about buying. I may just got internal and get a bumper pull instead of a 5th wheel. I wonder how it wil look to have the toolbox set back to allow room for the stacks to come up though.

Attachments

• Chrome Stacks.jpg
    Chrome Stacks.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 5

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those would be pretty cool, methinks, either way you run them. And if you offset the toolbox it don't look too bad, you can always fab up some filler cover for the space between the stacks and the box and the front wall of the bed.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
my stacks stick up just over the cab and kick out to either side. The run to santa clara and back MADE A HUGE F***ING MESS!! The bed, trailer, benz on the trailer, everything in the bed, and bed sides where COATED with soot from towing up and down mountains and hills running straight diesel and 50/50 with a pump that is iffy. some sections the exhaust was almost clear, some sections (uphill loaded) I couldnt even see the trailer in the rearview. I love the stacks sound and look, but Im getting ready to side mount them under the cab with side exits, less mess and something different.

I rarely keep things stock for long and once I change it I keep messing with it till I dont have to anymore. Im working on putting a 3" from the turbo back on the sd benz and then Im going to turbo the d benz and build an exhaust for it.

punk

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Punk. I thought a single stack would look cool old school. But as much as it is a pain in the butt to clean soot off the side of the 5r (normal exhaust), I'd hate to have to do it up on a ladder!!

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
My landlord just GAVE me a bumper pull travel trailer yesterday. It's his old one, and it needs a little work, but nothing too bad (at least all the appliances still work). It was great because the other half said we couldn't get one right now because 1) we can't afford it and 2) the landlord would "flip" if we parked a trailer in the driveway. This was awesome because it was FREE (so I can afford it) and it was given to me by my landlord (so much for him "flipping"). He even said I can store it on his property if I can't get it to fit in the driveway here. Anyways, back on topic, I am going to get the stacks I posted the pic of earlier and run them inside the bed. A buddy of mine is going to tig weld me an aluminum diamond deck box that will attach to my current box and sit between the stacks as a "filler" and the lid will open so that I can store extra stuff in that. Do you think it would be too dangerous to maybe have the "filler" box welded up with a solid top lid and use it as a "tank" for my WMO blend? I thought that maybe the heat from the stacks and exhaust pipe under it would work as a "heater" to warm the mixture before it heads to the engine. Any suggestions or ideas?

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
sounds like a good idear to me. as long as theres an air gap between the stacks and tank you shouldn't get it more then 250 degree in there

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, if I were better in welding I'd weld my stacks through the tank, perfect WMO fuel heater right there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online