Side mounted turbo?

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
I've been looking at the 2 setups i've seen on here and i was wondering if you could weld the flange on to a stock cast exhaust manifold? I know the gm 6.2/6.5 turbo setups are like that and they seem to work good.

Thanks for any info guys;Sweet

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
welding cast is a tricky thing the cast has to be heated and special welding rods need to be used i belive but dont know everything about it .
that being said im looking into a make your own header kit from summit racing only thing with that is ill need to have a machine shop make the exhaust port flanges unless a big block ford has the same exhaust port

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I've thought of flipping the manifolds upsidown and build an adaptor flange for a turbo on each side, probably won't happen, but it could be doable with more availible junkyard turbos.

1Turbo10

Reaction score
We did just that on an old Dodge Dakota one of my employees had. We put a grand national turbo on it. I was shocked how well it worked. truck ran awesome. Just cut a hole in the cast iron manifold and Welded a pipe off of it. Worked is all I can say!!:dunno

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
if you can send me a gasket i can cut you new flanges... the flanges do not have to be machined out. they just need to be made thick enough so after the manifold is welded you skim cut the mounting surfaces with a mill.

www.terrapinmfg.com

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have seen manifolds like that for sale on Ebay a while back - there was a link to them here in the IDI section. The manifolds were for these engines in IH trucks. The turbo mounted to the passengers side manifold and the pipe if you will would get replaced to plumb the exhaust from the drivers side exhaust man to the passengers side exhaust man, then the exhaust would flow out through the turbo then back down.

suv7734

Reaction score
I have seen manifolds like that for sale on Ebay a while back - there was a link to them here in the IDI section. The manifolds were for these engines in IH trucks. The turbo mounted to the passengers side manifold and the pipe if you will would get replaced to plumb the exhaust from the drivers side exhaust man to the passengers side exhaust man, then the exhaust would flow out through the turbo then back down.

Like this one...
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41282

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what about heat buildup at the collector side of these setups? Does funnelling everything together at the manifold make that side hotter than the other? If not, mounting a turbo that way could be done pretty easily.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't try to weld the cast. I remember someone here a few years ago made their own headers by having flanges cut to match their gaskets. Then they miged pipes on to make the exhaust. If you used the same method youcould put everything together on one side easily and pretty cheap.

I bet you could even cut the flange w/ a torch and grinder if you were patient.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
again...i dont have any exhaust gaskets to copy from....it would be worth your while to let me cut them out for you guys. torch and a grinder would take forever....the cnc plasma is more accurate and will give a much nicer finish.

anyone want to step up and send me some gaskets?

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just put a driver side mount turbo on my 91 7.3 idi . it works great besides my feed line needs replaced . and if your rig is a manual trans the line off the master cyl will rub the intake side of the turbo slightly, and makin the downpipe sucked.

You must be registered for see images attach

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
i just put a driver side mount turbo on my 91 7.3 idi . it works great besides my feed line needs replaced . and if your rig is a manual trans the line off the master cyl will rub the intake side of the turbo slightly, and makin the downpipe sucked.

You must be registered for see images attach

any more pics of this setup when complete?