Shut off fuel for a compression test

Charles Moore

Reaction score
I'm at 280k miles so I'd like to get an idea of the compression on the engine.

Whats the best way to shut off the fuel doing into the cylinders for these engines?

Thanks!

SlippyRider

Reaction score
Oh I thought the injection pump was purely mechanical.

Thanks

There's a fuel cut off solenoid that is the kill switch for the engine. It requires 12 volts to hold it open allowing fuel to flow.

You'll notice, looking at your injection pump there are a couple electrical connections. The one closest to the firewall is the shutoff solenoid. The plastic connector things tend to be brittle with age, so don't be surprised if it breaks when you give it a squeeze to disconnect it. It's not a big deal.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, there are two connectors, front and back, on the driver's side of the IP.

Front being closest to the radiator. Back, being closest to the firewall.

Front is the fuel shutoff solenoid. Back is the fast idle.

If you didn't bother to do anything at all, you'd just end up with fuel in the cylinders. As, to do the compression test, you have to take out all the glow plugs. No compression can build in any cylinder, so no ignition can take place.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fast idle is the solenoid on the passenger side of the pump that acts on the throttle arm, the rear connector on the IP is for the cold advance

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are correct. And you have corrected me on that before. I just keep forgetting the proper nomenclature.

I DO know it advances something! LOL And that it is the front one that shuts off the fuel. :D

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
A person could. Then we would see threads of "my truck dies when it warms up, and wont restart until it cools off." Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: dgr

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Although you can switch them, those wires do lay out to where they're supposed to plug in. Another thing, with all of the advice to "just splice the two glow plug wires together at the main wiring harness plug", it's getting harder to find a truck that you actually can unplug it there.

Charles Moore

Reaction score
Cool thanks folks! What compression #'s am I looking for?
94 7.3 IDI non turbo.
Now I've also got to find a compression tester that will work. The one I have doesn't have any connections small enough to fit in the glow plug space...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726