Show us your IP wrench!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple different wrenches that people have modified to work on their IP timing. Always interesting to see what people come up with.

Here's mine. I did this with a belt sander. Nothing else. It's all I needed to do. Didn't have to bend it or anything else at all.

Wrench was already kind of banana shaped, as you see. When I used the belt sander, I took more off the bottom, than the top, which continued that banana shape.

Turned out to work perfectly and made short work of the job!

And of course it was just a beat up rusty old wrench that I didn't care if I ruined it.

You must be registered for see images attach

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is close to that, Craftsman ground to fit. Easier than using the wrench in my Rotunda kit.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't have a picture of it, but I use a Mac Tools DA18. It's called an angle wrench and has two open ends. One end is at 15* like a regular open wrench while the other end is at 60*. I've had it since 1995 or 1996 so it was cheaper than the $40.99 that they want for it today. It's removed and installed numerous pumps over the years. It's all that I've ever used. Snap-On makes a similar one, but it's longer and gets hung up on things way too much. I suppose that there's other brands that are cheaper than Mac, but mine still works. In fact, I carry it along with my Mac Tools DA20 (same thing only 5/8") in my "road Box" that I carry on all longer trips.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this would be more interesting. With people showing pics of what they have done, to make their own wrenches.

I guess not. LOL

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I thought this would be more interesting. With people showing pics of what they have done, to make their own wrenches.

I guess not. LOL

I chopped up a Craftsman wrench because I misunderstood which way it needed to be grounded when I went about it. :joker:

Not worth posting a pic of it, since it's done all wrong. But it did manage to barely loosen my F250s IP to adjust timing about a dime's worth once, and tighten it back.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those interested I do have pictorial instructions for makingone of these wrenches. It shows angles to bend, thicknesses to grind to. You start with a regular wrench.
Are the instructions copyrighted?

gandalf

Reaction score
Are the instructions copyrighted?

Hardly. They were initially drawn up by a member here, appeared here in this forum.

I'd be happy to send a copy to anyone who wants one. Send a PM with an email address. OTOH, they may be small enough, spacewise, to allow me to post here. I'll look when I get home, since they're on the desktop system. I'll be home very briefly later today for medical, and maybe tomorrow.

gandalf

Reaction score
I'm just not finding the picture. I swear it's here somewhere, but I can't find it. I know several things about it. It has been posted on this forum before. Other people have the picture.

I think maybe it's in my photobucket account, and I seem to be locked out. I'll work on that too. "My Photos" at the bottom of this post is supposed to take you to my photobucket account.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll post a photo of my IP wrench when I get home after work...
No matter how I do it, I still have to remove high idle solenoid before I can get to passenger side IP nut...
How do you guys get around that?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wrench gets all three fairly easy.