US Gear splitter/over drive

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a USGOD and C6 that was on a 2wd dually.
I searched and read many posts that USG is no longer in business and the 2wd needs adapter(s) for 4wd that would be "easy" to make but I didn't find any stories of it actually being done and what else is involved.
Any help/advice here?
Or better to just switch to E40D+wiring if wanting lower highway RPMs?
Or keep looking for a plug-n-play OD for 4wd C6?

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
I only have experience with a couple, but mine was quite noisy at highway speeds with 4.10 gears.......gear whine that you could hear in the cab......
Now with 3.55 I rarely hear it.

If you need to stay auto, the e4od is a pretty good transmission that gains you a lower first and a good overdrive ratio, and lockup converter. I really think e4od and 4.10 gear is the perfect combo (with auto) for these trucks. ZF5 (diesel wide ratio) is a good transmission but has pretty lousy ratios including overdrive.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Updates? My '93 7.3 IDI with the E4OD (purchased new) lasted 220,000 miles before it needed a rebuild. Those 220,000 miles were easy miles either - towing a 7,700 lb travel trailer across the Sierra Madre and back at least 4 times and crossing the USA at least 4 times - almost always in OD and at 70-80 mph when hills and winds permitted. I did add a Banks Transcommand at some point and did add auxiliary transmission cooling. 220,000 miles from an automatic transmission used for towing (and plowing) is not too shabby.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although the C6 was a reliable transmission, I would never go back after running the E4OD. If fuel economy is your first concern (and you don't want a manual transmission), the C6 will never win even with an auxiliary overdrive for this one simple reason: Open torque converter.

It's also going to be very hard to find parts for that Aux overdrive unit. E4ODs are still out there and many suppliers have parts in stock.