SHOCK ABSORBERS

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1985 DRW F-350 2WD has the shocks that came on it new in 85, with over half-a-million miles on them.

They are probably still good; but, I have money burning a hole in my pocket, so I am thinking about possibly buying new shocks.

This truck weighs 9800 pounds on the quarry scales, without the trailer.

It is used extensively for REAL heavy towing, as in livestock.

What is the best economically-priced shock-absorber for my application??

For my purposes, should I go good-old-timey hydraulics, or some kind of gas-charged??

Do they still make those super-heavy-duty coil-over shocks, that have a coil-spring around the shock??

I had a set of those, on another truck, that stood up to :backoff severe punishment for years.

Thanks.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.....I can't believe they have anything left after 500K plus miles of heavy hauling. Mine are junk in my DD after 6 months to a year and I don't even live on a dirt road or do much really heavy towing/hauling. Whatever came with it...if you can get them...go for it if they lasted that long.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
My guess is they still look good, but when you get them off they will all but fall apart in your hands.

I put gas filled Skyjackers on my wife's truck and they really improved the ride. I believe they were less than $40 apiece.

Although not the most economical route, if you use your truck as you stated, I would go with new shocks and airbags. Shop around for the best deal. I think I have about $350 in mine, including the small compressor.

Tom

SKimballC

Reaction score
Air bags, come get yer air bags...I got some air bags for you. Rears. They're listed in the marketplace if you're interested in easing that burning sensation in your wallet.:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet when you replace those shocks you'll come to realize how far gone they were. I've used Rancho for years, and now Ford puts them on at the factory on some models. The gas charged ones are real good.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I used rancho's and they are pretty good. Also You may want to look into air bags for the heavy towing You do, very good investment. Tlbrewer (Thank You Tom) sent Me a good link and I hope I have some many burning feeling some day and buy them.:rolleyes:

RedTruck

Reaction score
I've hauled a few heavy loads with my rig and have had good luck with Pro Comp ES9000 shocks. I can't comment on longevity. I've only had them for a year. I bought the skyjacker poly boots for them (I think they last longer than the vinyl ones). Even if you don't buy from them, a good place to price things out are at www.summitracing.com.

A friend of mine bought a set of those spring over heavy duty shocks. He said they did help with the tail sagging. I think those were monroe shocks.

Good luck.

Paul

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do these air-bags you guys are mentioning go INSIDE the front coils??

I would like to pick the front up about an inch, as it is only about half-an-inch off the spring stops.

No, it isn't weak springs, as I had Ford garage replace the factory coils with these wonderful super heavy duty last forever ride like a dream supposed to raise the truck two inches coils.

NOTHING CHANGED-----Absolutely nothing.

$400 plus throwed to the wind.-cuss

Thanks.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would like to pick the front up about an inch, as it is only about half-an-inch off the spring stops.

No, it isn't weak springs, as I had Ford garage replace the factory coils with these wonderful super heavy duty last forever ride like a dream supposed to raise the truck two inches coils.

Thanks.
ummmmmm......
considering what you have lurking under the hood.....what did you think was going to happen?cookoo:D
seriously tho, yes "air lift" does make cylinders that go inside the coils. If there isn't a direct application for your truck, I can get dimensional fit on them for you.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek: Holy Crap!! Change em Change em!! I just did my fronts and the ride difference is incredible!!! ;Sweet I put gas Gabriels up front. I didn't do the backs because they are those nice heavy duty coil over shocks you mentioned. But the fronts....yah I pushed it into the floor and the shocks didn't even act like they wanted to rebound! Totally gone!! Anyway I can pull the TT now without wandering all over the road when going over bumps or an overpass!! Very cool!

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go with the air bags and new gas charged shocks from rancho. My truck lives a loaded life every day every mile... 9300lbs. before I load any materials on it. Most days it is in the neighborhood of 12000lbs. when fully loaded. gas ranchos made a big improvement, then I found a new set of rear airbags and now it rides and handles better then the wife's mercury grand marquis.
You must be registered for see images attach

tractorman86

Reaction score
i would look into rancho rs9000's i have a set on mine and they are awsome they have 6 settings (iirc) from caddy to log-wagon. my truck has seen it's fair share of heavy loads (and airtime but that's another story:rock: ) and are still holding fast! plus you can get that fancy cab mounted adj. control and for the extra weight i would recomend the bags i've even seen them on the front of a newer dodge with coils, so there is no reason you couldnt adapt them onto yours.:thumbsup:

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score

Thanks.

The air bags I put on the front of Carla's truck look almost exactly like the picture in Dalvaras' reply and raised the truck approx 2"+ to be level. The nice thing is they are infinitely adjustable for ride, height, and camber to what you like. And there should be an application specific setup for your truck (was for mine). World of difference. I usually keep them at around 70psi which puts the truck level (stock rear with Skyjacker gas shocks) front to rear AND puts the front tire camber straight up and down.

The other option is add-a-leafs. I put these on my daughter's truck and they accomplished the same thing. They are a third the price initially. I think I gave $130 to my door for a set. However, I get her truck out of the shop tomorrow after an additional $400 for front end alignment and new upper camber bushings to make it all right. By the way, that truck has Rancho 5000's.

It's a trade off. Here's how I would look at it.

If you do mostly on the road miles and want a better stance and ride quality, I would go with the airbag system of your choice and good, although cheaper, gas shocks such as the Skyjackers. If you do a lot of off-roading and 4X4 ing, I would go with add-a-leafs and better adjustable gas shocks like the Rancho 9000's. Spend the extra on the front end alignment and camber bushings if needed, and be done with it. Take it off road and beat on it and not worry about bag pressures, ride, stance, etc.

I haven't decided which way I like better yet. This will be an ongoing test.

Just my .02.

Tom

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go with the air bags and new gas charged shocks from rancho.

What brand are those air-bags ??

The gas Ranchos, are they RS5000 or RS9000 ??

Also, some shock manufacturers list a seperate part number for DRW rear shocks; whereas, Rancho only lists one part number for rear shocks, and does not specify SRW or DRW.:dunno

I have noticed about half the manufacturers have a seperate part number for DRW rears and the other half make only one number and don't specify.

What is different between the rear shocks on a DRW, as opposed to a SRW ??

My truck is 2WD DRW.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online