Serpentine belt / Idler pulley

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week I experienced an idler pulley failure which in turn rendered the serpentine belt unservicable and smoked the tensioner pulley.

I got a new belt, idler pulley and tensioner pulley from NAPA.

Upon installation of the new belt, the bolt used to secure the pulley and compress the spring stripped out of the aluminum housing. This required purchasing a new tensioner assy. The new tensioner was equipped with a composite pulley, just like the factory unit. I swapped the composite piece for the steel pulley I purchased earlier that day.

While I had the belt and tensioner removed I drained and re-filled the vacuum pump with 75-140WT full synthetic gear oil.

The belt is a 6 rib, here are some NAPA part numbers...they are also found in the FAQ/Parts Bin.

6 rib belt: 061110
Tensioner Assy with composite pulley: 38270
Steel tensioner pulley: 38005
Idler pulley (composite): 38015

Hope this helps someone, in retrospect the excessive force used to compress an old, corroded spring is what ultimately caused the tensioner's bolt to strip. I would reccomend thoroughly soaking the tensioner with WD-40, PB, Kroil or LPS 2 before trying to R&R a new serpentine belt.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So... Which tensioner did you need... The spring only type or the inclosed spring with the shock absorber on it. Where did you find the aluminum mount where the threads got stripped out of... I know there is one on Ebay for around $85.00 and Ford still sells that mounting piece...

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Last week I experienced an idler pulley failure which in turn rendered the serpentine belt unservicable and smoked the tensioner pulley.

I got a new belt, idler pulley and tensioner pulley from NAPA.

Upon installation of the new belt, the bolt used to secure the pulley and compress the spring stripped out of the aluminum housing. This required purchasing a new tensioner assy. The new tensioner was equipped with a composite pulley, just like the factory unit. I swapped the composite piece for the steel pulley I purchased earlier that day.

While I had the belt and tensioner removed I drained and re-filled the vacuum pump with 75-140WT full synthetic gear oil.

The belt is a 6 rib, here are some NAPA part numbers...they are also found in the FAQ/Parts Bin.

6 rib belt: 061110
Tensioner Assy with composite pulley: 38270
Steel tensioner pulley: 38005
Idler pulley (composite): 38015

Hope this helps someone, in retrospect the excessive force used to compress an old, corroded spring is what ultimately caused the tensioner's bolt to strip. I would reccomend thoroughly soaking the tensioner with WD-40, PB, Kroil or LPS 2 before trying to R&R a new serpentine belt.

How did you service the vacuum pump ? Didn't realize it need to be serviced. Where is the drain and how much oil does it take when refilling ??

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... Which tensioner did you need... The spring only type or the inclosed spring with the shock absorber on it. Where did you find the aluminum mount where the threads got stripped out of... I know there is one on Ebay for around $85.00 and Ford still sells that mounting piece...

I used the coiled spring type, exactly like the one that stripped. Made in Canada. The only difference is that I replaced the composite pulley with the steel unit.

Attachments

• IDITensioner.jpg
    IDITensioner.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 3

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you service the vacuum pump ? Didn't realize it need to be serviced. Where is the drain and how much oil does it take when refilling ??

There is additional info to be had by searching.
I removed the vacuum pump by loosening the three bolts, 2 of which are held captive by the pulley.

(You must remove the pump and put it on your work bench, this cannot be done installed on the engine.)

Removed the bolt from the rear of the pump, rotated the pulley with the drain hole facing down and pumped out what smelled like gear oil. I then re-filled the pump just below level of the hole with a syringe.

I used 75-140 full synthetic gear oil because:
1- That's what it smelled like
2- I had some extra on hand
3- It should easily last the life of the pump. I am not concerned about it being too heavy and I'm sure 15-40 would also work great but 30wt or 90wt is most likely what was in there.