Schrader valve question

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the Schrader valve on the 7.3 fuel filter housing a standard Schrader valve, or does it have special seals to handle fuel?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good first post question. I don't think they are anything special because I have used the ones from tires many times. Now this is the valve core itself. Not the complete schrader valve as it threads into the filter housing.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a metal tire valve cap on mine with a seal to prevent any air leaks from it.

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, that valve core is one of my several fuel filter leaks. I figured it was the same but I didn't want to throw one in there and it start leaking next week. I have come to the conclusion that the hard starts are from the leaking filter and I'm trying to fix all of those before I dynamically time the bull moose that lives in the valley. What's the opinions about using timing tape with a non adjustable timing light? I found a thread about that up here but there wasn't a definitive yes/no about the accuracy.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Using a non adjustable timing light accuracy depends on the angle you shoot the light at the timing marks. Otherwise it will work fine. On the other hand the kent moore j33300 or j33300-a meters have a microprocessor in them that does the rpm and the timing for you. All you do is connect 2 probes. Press one rocker switch and start engine. Rev to 2000 rpm watching the rpm & degrees of timing on the digital display and your done. Shut off engine and make any changes. Bob's you uncle....:angel::angel::D

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What angle do I need to be at? Usually I prop up my forearms on the battery. That might be the problem I'm having.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You want the light at a right angle to the tab. Most will shoot the tab from too high up near the battery. That will not give an accurate degree of timing. If I may suggest you "find" a meter that has the microprocessor in them that does all the timing and rpm for you. Just connect and read at 2000 rpm. Just for examples my kent moore j33300-a meter can break down a degree of timing to a tenth of a degree. Not one of us can make a small adjustment like that and nobody yet has said they changed their timing from say 8.5 to 8.6 degrees. But the meter will tell you down to a tenth of a degree what you have for timing.

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see I see. Do you think that would cause it to read 10 degrees off or is this more like 3 to 4 degrees kinda thing?