Running new motor oil vs waste motor oil?

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still haven’t picked up a quart of valvoline full synthetic to compare, but my redline MTL came in the mail and it actually smells very similar to what’s in the big tote. It also has that same reddish color. Next time I’m out and about I’ll get a matching quart and do a real comparison, but I’m feeling more optimistic now.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase I'm envious. If you convince the guy to bring you more oil have him put it out to the lift gate then lower the lift gate and then you can put the pallet jack underneath and move the oil. I'll give you some quick information I gleaned when using WMO with my IDI's I had an F350 and an F250 both had ATS 093 turbos on them. I would run normal fuel and in your case maybe a small percentage of the oil mixed is mixed in in one tank. I would run my WMO mix in another tank. I would start on the cleaner fuel and let the truck warm up but I would mostly use WMO on the highway because because it doesn't burn a 100% when you're sitting around idling. People would notice the smoke. And with that you have to worry about people calling you in to the smog cops. I used to thin my WMO with old bad gas. Stuff that smells like turpentine sometimes and if I didn't have any I'd use rug but my percentages would be lower I wouldn't go higher than 17% and that was preferably in the Winter time. Mercedes said in their diesels you could run up to 30% RUG during the Winter. My preferred amount was about 12% because a little bit of RUG goes a long way to thinning the oil. And a note of importance my EGT gauge was God. With your new oil if it is truly clean the sparkles you saw was probably air bubbles especially from a being tipped over and flipped back up. If not then you really should make sure it's truly clean because all it's gonna do is plug up fuel filters. I used to filter ghetto style. I would take sections of old bedsheets and pour the fluid through there to catch the big stuff stuff and then usually push through an old IDI fuel filter to catch whatever crap but it wasn't efficient and I'd always end up going through filters. Nowadays I've been doing WVO but I also bought myself a centrifuge. If I go back to using WMO again I would definitely run 2 or 3 passes through the centrifuge I have mine set to 5 gallons processed in about an hour. Part of the reason I say this is because it wouldn't be out of line for you to put a certain percentage of WMO in your fuel. The carbon and stuff does burn to an ash but if you put say 25% you really wouldn't be having issues. And on that if you really slick you should cultivate a relationship and buy used Oil from a transmission shop but then again when mixing it your EGT is God. Back to running WMO or your oil around town. It is thicker and doesn't completely burn but if you have a Turbo and you're under boost you're forcing air in there which helps to burn the oil more completely because unburned oil looks like smoke coming out the tailpipe. That why I prefer to run it on the highway. I live in a upper elevation 4400' above sea level that's why I noticed it. I remember one time idling down by Sacramento which is a couple hundred feet above sea level and I didn't notice as much smoke coming out the tailpipe.
Part of this whole idea is so that you don't get noticed by the wrong people. I mean you don't want to get pulled over for speeding and have the cop smell something funny about your truck and decide to stick your tanks. If they do, tell them it's Motor oil and if they try to say anything about taxes say something like well it goes in the vehicle isn't road tax already paid? Also firmly stating that it is not off road diesel. I never got pulled over for that but that was my prepared arguments just in case.
On a side note make sure your fan clutch is in perfect working order if your engine's overheating your e.g. T's will go crazy too.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt run new oil, harder to light. and I saw less power.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HVAC businesses can be a gold mine for IDI fuel. Recent trends have many people replacing systems that use home heating oil with heat pumps and mini splits. Very often they remove partially filled heating oil tanks and have a difficult time disposing the fuel. That fuel burns great in our IDI'S however be aware, sometimes it is very dirty and requires filtering.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
When I had my IDIs, I came across a few old home heating oil tanks that were full and folks needed gone. my only worry was getting fined for running off road diesel since it's the exact same thing. I'm curious if any of you guys had experience with this as far as getting stopped for off road diesel. Even the price of fresh home heating oil is tempting compared to diesel prices.
I'm just not sure it's worth the risk. last I heard, the fines were up to 10k here for running off road diesel....

Rock

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My folks moved recently and ended up with a 300 gallon tank of heating oil they need gone. Told them to ask around for whoever has a tractor, skid steer, backhoe, etc. that wants to fuel up for cheap. If nothing else, I'll pick up a used slip tank or two and load up as much as I can when I visit.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix or Repair Daily
First on Race day
Failed on Race day
Found on Russian Dump
Freaked over Rebuilt Dodge
Freaking Owner Really Dumb

Ford backwards is
Driver Returns on Foot

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I would put much stock in how it smells. Just siphon some out from the bottom of the tank. If it's used, there will be plenty of solids that have settled.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My folks moved recently and ended up with a 300 gallon tank of heating oil they need gone. Told them to ask around for whoever has a tractor, skid steer, backhoe, etc. that wants to fuel up for cheap. If nothing else, I'll pick up a used slip tank or two and load up as much as I can when I visit.
I would happily come pump that tank for them, remove it, and knock out any other pending chores they might have around the house

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my IDIs, I came across a few old home heating oil tanks that were full and folks needed gone. my only worry was getting fined for running off road diesel since it's the exact same thing. I'm curious if any of you guys had experience with this as far as getting stopped for off road diesel. Even the price of fresh home heating oil is tempting compared to diesel prices.
I'm just not sure it's worth the risk. last I heard, the fines were up to 10k here for running off road diesel....

Rock
There's always the option of paying the fuel tax and keeping the receipts so that if you get inspected, you have proof that you're not running illegally. That said, I have a decently large circle of diesel friends and none of us have ever been stopped or dipped in our private vehicles and we run all manners of fuels through our trucks.