Centrifuges- oil pressure type vs motor driven

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 60 size oil pressure operated type centrifuge, I see the larger motor driven fuges available over there,
Has anyone tried the 2 types side by side too see which is more effective, well basically too see if these little pump driven units work anywhere near the same as the other??
Forgot variables like heat or thinning or settling let’s assume anyone using a fuge had a good system in place already, fuge vs fuge

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 60 size oil pressure operated type centrifuge, I see the larger motor driven fuges available over there,
Has anyone tried the 2 types side by side too see which is more effective, well basically too see if these little pump driven units work anywhere near the same as the other??
Forgot variables like heat or thinning or settling let’s assume anyone using a fuge had a good system in place already, fuge vs fuge
I was just about to post the nearly the exact same question; I'm wondering if anyone has both and has ever got the oil "clean" with a pressure driven and then run it through it a motor driven to see if anything else comes out? I have a pressure-driven, have been using it for a number of years, and am curious if the motor version is really that much better.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fellow member made this comparison video.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

IMO the efficiency of a centrifuge is all about g force achieved and holding capacity. From what I've seen, most of your pressure operated fuges have lower g force numbers and holding capacities then a motor driven unit, so my guess is that they're less "efficient" then a motor driven unit. I would say multiple passes and cleanings can make up that difference in efficiency, so if you already have a pressure driven unit, I'd use it with more passes. Also heat and thinning does wonders for efficiency too. As does pre-filtering/settling.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
These centrifuges take out particles to a certain point. The oil will still be black and ugly looking.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah for sure it’ll stay black and ugly, and I’d expect the motor driven fuge to work better was just curious if anyone has tried them back too back, well that video pretty much answers the question,

sieg01

Reaction score

I have.

I am using a PA Biodiesel Supply UFC next to a pump driven "inverter" centrifuge.

Setup:
Both devices are feeded with the same transferpump from the same barrel parallel to each other.

Tech:
The "Upside Down Centrifuge" is said to be the better pump driven centrifuge.
The manufacturer claims that it generates 4100G.
PA Biodiesel Supply claims 1600G for their device.

Process:
The UFC is set to have a pass through rate of max 10L per hour.
The pressure @ the Upside Down Centrifuge is 7 bar.
Both centrifuges are cleaning one barrel for about 4-5 days.
Temperature is rising during these days to 45° C. The devices are insulated/covered to avoid temperature losses.
The pressure is kept @ 7 bar and the flow rate remains the same.

Result:
I don't measure the weight of the dirt they catch on a scale. But just by the amount of dirt scratching out of each other:
I say, that the 1600G UFC is better than the 4100G pressurised Centrifuge.
Means, that the motor driven centrifuge is more efficient than the pressurised centrifuge.

Hope this helps.