Rotella ELC, universal green, or...?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That link looks like any plain green coolant... where is the info showing it has SCA's suitable for diesel engines? :dunno

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's better o_O won't be cheap though... 8 gal at 14.99 a gallon for the 50/50 is $120 before sales tax!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That's better o_O won't be cheap though... 8 gal at 14.99 a gallon for the 50/50 is $120 before sales tax!

The concentrated is $18/gal. I linked it in an earlier post in this thread. Then SCA (Motorcraft at Oreilly, $7.50 per bottle) and 4 gallons of distilled water ($1/gallon)

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, that was the non-precharged coolant... it looks like it's not cost effective to buy a 50/50 SCA coolant at that price though.

Sometimes you can find sales on 50/50 green coolant making it cheap enough not to bother with the extra $1/gal distilled water and mixing it up. Then just add the Motorcraft SCA... 2 bottles required, I believe.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
yes, that was the non-precharged coolant... it looks like it's not cost effective to buy a 50/50 SCA coolant at that price though.

Sometimes you can find sales on 50/50 green coolant making it cheap enough not to bother with the extra $1/gal distilled water and mixing it up. Then just add the Motorcraft SCA... 2 bottles required, I believe.

Walmart's concentrate is $10/gallon, distilled water is $1. Unless you can find 50/50 for $5.50/gallon, you can't beat mixing your own.

Prestone is $11 at Walmart for concentrate if you want a name brand.

The advantage to buying a premixed SCA is not messing up the sca content by adding more between changes.

I might go with Napa SCA concentrate despite the much higher cost. (Almost twice as much) Then I can have consistant fluid if i need to add more. Unless i want to try to measure more sca into a gallon of 50/50 conventional, which I guess I could do. Stil way cheaper to have a third bottle of sca and use conventional green.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walmart's concentrate is $10/gallon, distilled water is $1. Unless you can find 50/50 for $5.50/gallon, you can't beat mixing your own.

Prestone is $11 at Walmart for concentrate if you want a name brand.

The advantage to buying a premixed SCA is not messing up the sca content by adding more between changes.

I might go with Napa SCA concentrate despite the much higher cost. (Almost twice as much) Then I can have consistant fluid if i need to add more. Unless i want to try to measure more sca into a gallon of 50/50 conventional, which I guess I could do. Stil way cheaper to have a third bottle of sca and use conventional green.
both of those brands you mentioned are the completly wrong ingredients for our diesel cooling systems.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm. So what is correct then?
Those coolants are Dexclones. They attack rubber and plastic parts and become goo when subjected to air. They will also eat the solder out of the radiator.You want old school silicated green antifreeze,not a long life antifreeze like the 2 you mentioned. You can add the sca's to the silicated coolant. Its not compatible with dexclones.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Those coolants are Dexclones. They attack rubber and plastic parts and become goo when subjected to air. They will also eat the solder out of the radiator.You want old school silicated green antifreeze,not a long life antifreeze like the 2 you mentioned. You can add the sca's to the silicated coolant. Its not compatible with dexclones.

How long does it take? That's what I have been using a fraction of in my cooling system for a year and a half. I had some awful looking coolant so i drained a couple gallons and put in that type to help a little. Then I just never got around to doing anything but topping it off a little now and then. Thus far, nothing obviously bad seems to have happened.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with buying the premixed is you end up paying like $5-6/gal for the water. Its great for top offs but I've never seen a sale good enough to justify it. Distilled water is 88¢ at our Walmart.

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with NAPA they have a sca in there brand to add to the green coolant that is reasonable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online