Rotella ELC, universal green, or...?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's because everyone has their own opinion, and a lot of things will work.

I'm personally running Zerex HD ELC coolant, but I also think Zerex G-05 is just as good, looking at the tests and specs.
Both will work just fine and don't require maintaining a level of SCAs over time - just fill and forget for 5 years.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That's because everyone has their own opinion, and a lot of things will work.

It's more like "use it", "no don't!" as far as conventional green.

I will look into the Napa HD concentrate with SCA and add my own distilled water. That seems like it might be the lowest cost and best choice. There is a lack of detailed info and they don't show the back of the jug so I guess I have to go look at a jug in person.

At $18 per gallon, it'll be just under $80 with tax, before $4 more for distilled water.

Or pay $25 more for final charge from Walmart.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
(Disregard)

Last edited:

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. I think Fleetcharge is an ideal choice if I'm understanding what's required chemically:

Ethylene glycol: yes
Phosphates: no
Low silicates: yes
Nitrates: yes

It's basically identical to G-05 except in color, but it also has SCA, unlike G-05.

This PDF lays it out well:
https://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/documents/afz/antifreezeguide.pdf
Fleetcharge is great, I've been using it for years and I like it. From what I've read it's exactly the same as the regular green stuff, it just already has SCA's added. You can get test kits if you want to keep an eye on the SCA levels, or you can be lazy like me and change it every other year and not worry about it :cheers:

I got a bunch of the mixed messages too when I was researching this topic for my first coolant change. The long and short of it is that IDI's are not picky, all they ask for are SCA's. As long as you give them that, and avoid any ELC that doesn't specifically state it's compatible with diesels and old gaskets, you'll have a happy engine.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ethylene glycol: yes
Phosphates: no
Low silicates: yes
Nitrates: yes

It's basically identical to G-05 except in color, but it also has SCA, unlike G-05.

The only thing it seems like you've missed is that nitrates are not necessary in certain extended life coolants that have additive packages that provide the same function.

That's why Zerex G-05 doesn't have SCA, they aren't needed because that particular coolant has additives that provide the same protection.

Yes its confusing!

Any coolant that HAS SCA in it will need routine testing and SCA to be added. Any coolant that provides cavitation protection without the use of SCA should not be mixed with SCA.

Clear as mud?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Any coolant that HAS SCA in it will need routine testing and SCA to be added. Any coolant that provides cavitation protection without the use of SCA should not be mixed with SCA.

Ah. That's where my confusion lied with G-05.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This subject comes up a lot.

Just a couple months ago: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/coolant-confusion.83749/
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/proper-coolant-7-3-idi.77754/
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1163753-need-a-no-bs-answer-on-coolant-for-the-idi.html

"Myself when young did eagerly frequent
Doctor and saint, and heard great argument
About it and about; but evermore
Came out by the same door where in I went."

(Omar Khayyam... written in the year 1120. Not much has changed in 900 years!)

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Here is what my coolant looks like. It doesn't look so bad (nice and green) the radiator/cooling system needs cleaning for sure.

You must be registered for see images attach

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long does it take?
pure dexcool/dexclone 50/50 with water will destroy a copper radiator real fast. A few months! Yours being so dirty may be insulating the solder from the bad stuff.

We will not warranty a recore or repair if the wrong coolant is used. We simply can't fix the damage it does.