rocker arms

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the push rod that low I would say you missed the lifter. I would pul it out and retry, remember that lifter maybe on the low side of the cam when you put it back in but still it should not be that low. I was looking at the angle and it don't look right, looks like you missed the lifter.
I have a set of lifters out of a low mileage 6.9 if you need, lifters from a 2000 Power Stroke are the same as our 6.9/7.3 and I have a set of them also with around 10,000 miles on them but I am keeping them.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One other thing is to mark the injection pump housing and the timing gear cover so you can re-install them in the same orientation.

A center punch on the seem between the two is a great way to do that. You end up with two half circles that are easy to see and align on re-assembly.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a slim chance the roller siezed and scrubbed the lobe off

You would see silver in the oil. Best way to check, drain oil, drip some on a piece of paper and look at it in sunlight. Glitter equals metal!

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i started pulling the pump tonight but i don't have the right socket to get the three 5/16 bolts out that are behind the cover-cuss -cuss damn 12point bolts all i have is 6pt sockets i hate 12pt sockets. So ill have to get one tomorrow, plus i had to stop cause i couldnt feel my hands its cold out there tonight and i cant get the truck in the garage. man my luck:rotflmao

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those three 5/16th inch bolts require a torque of 25 ft lbs when you reassemble things. Yes, they are a tuff socket to find. I needed to use a 3/8 drive socket and a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter to get them off. I lost both of them while I was rebuilding my motor the second time so I bought them again.... Only to "find them" when all was finished on the build.... Now I have plenty of spare parts and tools......LOL :dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I use a 8mm 12 point socket on those pump bolts. It fits better than a 5/16. Not as much slop in it for some reason, even though 5/16 should be 7.9mm :dunno .

suv7734

Reaction score
A center punch on the seem between the two is a great way to do that. You end up with two half circles that are easy to see and align on re-assembly.

I remember a post about that a long time ago... :D

As far as the socket goes 5/16" and 8mm are considered interchangeable but the 8mm is a little tighter.
As far as 12 point sockets in general, go get yourself a 1/2" 12 point since that is what fits the head bolts. By the normal laws (including Murphy's) if it's in the tool box you should never need it! :rotflmao

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as 12 point sockets in general, go get yourself a 1/2" 12 point since that is what fits the head bolts. By the normal laws (including Murphy's) if it's in the tool box you should never need it! :rotflmao

Now thats a good idea :D :rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a little box end wrench that has always worked really well for me. I don't know how much torque I apply when I tighten them. Basically whatever my thumb can exert. LOL

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tried the box end wrench with no go i even tried hooking the wrenches together and it wouldnt budge so instead of stripping it ill get the socket and use a ratchet

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay i got the pump off:cheers: a few curse words and some funny faces and shes out those three little bolts were tight i had to use a 1/2" ratchet on them to break them loose. whats the torque specs on them so i know when i reinstall it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
25 ft lbs it is. I posted that in my first post to you but thats ok... I read things several times before I see all the works....

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i got the lifter out and it did collapse it would have been alot easier if i new about the drain in the back that has to be unscrewed to remove the valley pan. i couldn't even see it because it was covered with crap but o well its out now just a little bent on the one sideLOL nothing a ball pien hammer cant fix

Attachments

• S5001431.JPG
    S5001431.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 19
  • S5001434.JPG
    S5001434.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 13
  • S5001435.JPG
    S5001435.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads