rocker arms

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i pulled the drivers side valve cover and i found a really lose rocker arm the bolt was tight push rod straight and the valve dosent feel lose. can this be the sorce of my horrible idle problem?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You need to dig in a little bit deeper. The lifter may have colasped or the roller is going flat. If as you state the idle is bad maybe the lifter is plugged up and not pumping up so the valve opens to the correct amount and when you speed up the motor it gets enough oil to function half way correctly.. Just an idea and by no means the only idea.....

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh boy this aint good i was runnign the motor with our the valve coverand the push rod will not move high enough to move the rocker so i pulled the push rod and put it back it and the push rod sits 1/2 to and 1 inch below the others. ?

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres some pics:fan: :frustrate :( ;Pissed :shocked:

Attachments

• S5001430.JPG
    S5001430.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 28
  • S5001429.JPG
    S5001429.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 30

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow, badly collapsed! I think I would be looking for any pieces as well. The innards may have left the room, but still be in the building! :eek:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I R thinking shine a little light down that thar hole....have a looksee....then worse case....pull intake and look closer.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pullimg the intake is no big deal. Changing ALL the lifters in the next important dicision. Just replacing the bad one is bandaiding the problem.. When will the other 15 lifters go bad.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pullimg the intake is no big deal. Changing ALL the lifters in the next important dicision. Just replacing the bad one is bandaiding the problem.. When will the other 15 lifters go bad.

Agreed, when there's a lot of miles on it change them all! This is not the time to half-step something.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a slim chance the roller siezed and scrubbed the lobe off

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If and when you pull the intake to look at the lifters don't remove any of the push tubes. Just maybe you didn't get this push tibe seated back in the lifter. I don't think you said it was like this untill you removed it and tried to reinstall it. But really, you need to pull the intake and valley pan to look at all the lifters. Sorry but thats what things look like from my place in all of this. Heres hoping the cam is ok. Don't remove the injection pump tower or you will be working on that timing problem thats for sure. You can pull the intake and valley pan without the tower coming off easily. Pictures are always good so all of us can be there with you and add more help. Plenty of us have been down that road too. I always take digital pictures of what I do. Sometimes I forget what I did internally and refer to my pics just to feel better about what I have done. It sure beats taking things apart because I forgot what the timing marks were set at or did I install all the bolts or oil cooling jets....

suv7734

Reaction score
One other thing is to mark the injection pump housing and the timing gear cover so you can re-install them in the same orientation.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i going to start to pull it apart tonight. I am pretty sure i will do all of the lifters at the same time. Where do i get lifters at i see autozone lists them put are they any good. i know that the push rod is in there right i can fell the side of the rocker with the push rod but in the center it just falls in

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online