Review: pensacola diesel

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Pensacola is on my ***** list. Last year, ordered one set of ea. Code A, Code BB and Code G. As I do my own pop testing, thank God I didn't order the E Code like I was going to.

Here is the testing results.

REBUILT--Code G---Tried to pop test them, nothing but a steady stream of rusty diesel on 4 of them. Took one apart, nothing but rust on the inside, spring was so rusted it couldn't compress, same results on the other 3. Shipped them back, then I was charged a $20 restocking, plus the return ship cost.

RE-BUILT--Code BB--Pop tested 1200 to 1700 PSI. After 5 hrs of resetting pop to 1850 PSI, still had 2 leakers, no way could I repair them.

NEW-- Code A-- Just this past week I pop tested them, tested from 1700 -- 1900 PSI. Three or four of the eight were at 1850. Going to install them in the 92 IDIT, sometime in this week or next week.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Pensacola is on my ***** list. Last year, ordered one set of ea. Code A, Code BB and Code G. As I do my own pop testing, thank God I didn't order the E Code like I was going to.

Here is the testing results.

REBUILT--Code G---Tried to pop test them, nothing but a steady stream of rusty diesel on 4 of them. Took one apart, nothing but rust on the inside, spring was so rusted it couldn't compress, same results on the other 3. Shipped them back, then I was charged a $20 restocking, plus the return ship cost.

RE-BUILT--Code BB--Pop tested 1200 to 1700 PSI. After 5 hrs of resetting pop to 1850 PSI, still had 2 leakers, no way could I repair them.

NEW-- Code A-- Just this past week I pop tested them, tested from 1700 -- 1900 PSI. Three or four of the eight were at 1850. Going to install them in the 92 IDIT, sometime in this week or next week.

Wow, that's just wrong!!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well that's what I have been trying to tell this forum for several months now. They "clean them" but that's a paint rebuild most of the time. Its really sad to find this out time after time. Seems people come here after they have been screwed by someone from Florida or Tenn. I know there are plenty of others out there doing shoddy work too and we will eventually here about them. What you will never hear is someone getting screwed doing business with Russ or Mel. They have way too much character than to do that.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an unfortunate reality, that in any line of endeavor, there are people who do things right, and people who do things wrong. Diesels are very forgiving. Most will admit, that their injectors ran the truck just as smooth at 100,000 miles when they were replaced with new. But, power and economy return with a correctly atomizing injector that you won't get with a worn out one. Now picture a truck that has a miss and is running poorly. If a guy were to put a set of used (but new looking) 100,000 mile injectors in, his truck would run smooth and think Wow! These things work great! And I only paid X for them. Now, how many more miles and years will he get out of those used injectors? The same could be said for pumps. Any one of us could clean up a pump to the point of looking new, and sell it as rebuilt, and if it is replacing a failing one, then Wow! It works really great. Or so you would think. But how much power and economy did you not get in return for installing it? How many miles will it take you down the road? There are in fact shops that do exactly this. I know it for a fact, but can't say who because I'm in the biz. Never ask why something is so expensive. Ask why it is so cheap. Parts have to be bought. People have to be paid. Warranties have to be supported. A restocking fee for a rust filled injector? Really? I'd eat my hat before asking a customer to do that!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's what I have been trying to tell this forum for several months now. They "clean them" but that's a paint rebuild most of the time. Its really sad to find this out time after time. Seems people come here after they have been screwed by someone from Florida or Tenn. I know there are plenty of others out there doing shoddy work too and we will eventually here about them. What you will never hear is someone getting screwed doing business with Russ or Mel. They have way too much character than to do that.

Tons of so called rebuilt injectors on ebay and they are probably nothing more than cleaned, maybe tested and packaged in a pretty new wrapper.

Even brand new injectors should definately be pop tested and recalibrated.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel continues to offer a great product at a fair price. A company that charges a restocking fee for their probelms is not a company I will buy from. My pensacola pump was bought way back in about 2004. Its not painted. Sure looks rebuilt but who knows for sure. The pump I removed that was causing some issues will be sent to Mel. I want a spare just in case I'm running on borrowed time. This is just how I roll. I like spares but too many spares is the reason I'm selling off timing meters and beru glow plugs. Only one set of Beru ZD9 left too. I'm surprised they are flying off the short shelf...:eek::D

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a set of PD rebuilt injectors, hoping for the best. I installed the injectors with a fresh fuel filter and on start up had a ton of white smoke. Drove around for a few miles and it cleared up, mostly. I was getting hard starts in the morning. Pulled the injectors and 6 of eight were leaking. Called PD and they were polite and sent replacements that day. put those in and I still have a few leaking, still losing prime overnight as they leak down. Between the white haze and the hard morning starts I'm not happy. Right now I am building a home pop tester and will probably look into either new injectors or get some from type4.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a set of PD rebuilt injectors, hoping for the best. I installed the injectors with a fresh fuel filter and on start up had a ton of white smoke. Drove around for a few miles and it cleared up, mostly. I was getting hard starts in the morning. Pulled the injectors and 6 of eight were leaking. Called PD and they were polite and sent replacements that day. put those in and I still have a few leaking, still losing prime overnight as they leak down. Between the white haze and the hard morning starts I'm not happy. Right now I am building a home pop tester and will probably look into either new injectors or get some from type4.
This sure brings back memories > all BAD!
I believe the guy at Pensacola is/was Frank, he'll send you replacement parts all day long and sometimes (as my two IP's) drop-shipped from other so called re-builders, the problem is they're usually JUNK-in-A-Box!
Of course you/I couldn't reverse-bill him for our time and aggravation changing out the junk parts.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hammerdown speaks with authority on this topic. He is the member that changed pumps 4 times before he got one that barely worked. Not the kind of business I care to buy from. I'm surprised they can stay in business too but I guess a sucker is born every second so new feeders are everywhere.

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pardon my newbie ignorance, but I have figured out Mel is from Conastoga Diesel out on the East Coast, but who is Russ, and what is his website address?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ goes by the name id here of typ4. He is a very well know idi builder and about the best turbo rebuilder we know of. his prices are the best for what he does. He is located in Oregon. I have bought many times from him with never a problem and he has bought many times from me also. Both Mel and Russ are worthy members to deal with. Never a complaint seen form anyone that has purchased from either of them.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
skip testing them and get a set fro "typ4". you play around with this too long and you'll wash down the rings on your motor.