Restore. Good? Bad? Ugly?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here ever used restore to get back some compression?

Good stories?

Bad stories?

Ugly stories?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grey bottled snake oil???
once upon a time and nuthin happened.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Project Farm on YouTube, he has 2 episodes of using it on an old farm tractor. I dunno if the long game works, but 100+ hours it did pretty ok. Dunno if it hurts bearings or anything though.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I posted here.

I thought it was pretty much snake oil. But I watched those two videos, and now I wonder.

It made a real difference for the tractor engine. Tractor engine being larger, like a truck engine, and not just a lawnmower engine, but still different in ways from a truck engine, I wondered if it would make that kind of difference for ours.

Looked like the longer it ran, the better it did.

My engine could use that much help. Doesn't need much. But I would be happier with a bit more compression...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I have read about others having good results as well.

Was just kind of hoping someone here has had some experience with it.

matthew mcelhaney

Reaction score
Check out Project Farm on YouTube, he has 2 episodes of using it on an old farm tractor. I dunno if the long game works, but 100+ hours it did pretty ok. Dunno if it hurts bearings or anything though.

I like that guy he does allot of good comparisons and seems to have good test methods.

matthew mcelhaney

Reaction score
I just picked up some hotshot stiction eliminator from walmart to try. Didnt find any comparison videos on it but the ones I did find says they use some new proprietary chemistry.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only way you are going to increase compression from an oil additive is due to poor maintenance, if your piston rings are seized from oil being run way beyond the proper service interval you may see an improvement from an oil additive, but its a stretch to claim that any additive will "add compression" its just a cleaning additive that in a worst case scenario can have the side effect of an increase in compression, which is a mechanical principle.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of Restore, but if you think your low compression is a result if stuck rings and/or overdue oil changes, I’d consider AutoRX as I believe it does work based on my use in my old high mileage IDI.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone bump the autorx thread from like 5 yrs ago??