Replacement options for stock front leaf springs?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I may have asked this question in the distant past; forgive me if this is a repeat.

The original front springs on my F-250 4x4 (Dana 50 front) are pretty well done for. The driver's side in particular will hit the bump stop on even a slight bump, and I'm sure the passenger's side isn't any better. The wheel camber is bad enough that in less than 40K miles, the insides of both front tires are just about bald.

Is there a good option for a replacement spring set that will bring the front end back to factory? I'd like to do air bags at some point, but IIRC relying exclusively on the air bags for ride height makes for a very uncomfortable ride...and I'm a bit apprehensive about junkyard springs because I'm concerned about them sagging as well, although if there's a sure-fire way to ensure that a junkyard spring set won't sag, I'd consider that for financial reasons.

A slightly stiffer spring wouldn't be a bad thing; I can live with a firm ride in return for a longer life before the springs start sagging under the weight of the mighty IDI. And, let me state specifically that I do NOT want to lift my truck any...IIRC replacement springs that'll lift the truck can be had without paying too much, but I want "stock-height" springs.

I wish I had the $$ for a Dana 60 conversion; that would cure most of my alignment woes... *sigh*

Thank you in advance ;Sweet

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you could find a skyjacker (i think) 6" front lift spring set, then it has about 5 or 6 leaves in the pack. all you would have to do is pull the bottom 2 or 3 and you are back to stock height or about 1" up.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have not used these myself but i know people who have used jc whitney for jeep springs and are happy with them

http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacemen...-and-suv/p2005966.jcwx?filterid=d19345y1984j1

i dont know about your area but there are several spring shops in my area that can get that kind of thing, might try giving them a call.

or you could do what i did when i was younger and had no money and re-arch them yourself with a sludge hammer and piece of I-beam. not a fun job!

DragRag

Reaction score
There is a ttb50 truck at pick-n-pull in San Jose on Commercial street, saw it there yesterday. it has 4" lift springs and all the brackets still on it, they are red so i think it is Rancho stuff. Good alternative, it will put you up more then 4" though since yours is sitting below stock now. That place is cheap so i would give it some thought if you want new springs, plus drop brackets. Things don't last long there so make it fast if you want the lift stuff, looked to be in great shape.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Find a set of rear springs, pull both apart, and build the front to how you want. That's what we do. I call it a Whitlock levelling kit.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i also recomend stengel brothers, thats where i get all my spring work done at for work and home. coils to leaves to airbags. that got it all.

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
i have not used these myself but i know people who have used jc whitney for jeep springs and are happy with them

http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacemen...-and-suv/p2005966.jcwx?filterid=d19345y1984j1

i dont know about your area but there are several spring shops in my area that can get that kind of thing, might try giving them a call.

or you could do what i did when i was younger and had no money and re-arch them yourself with a sludge hammer and piece of I-beam. not a fun job!

I got spring from JCW for my 1990 about ten years ago. They sagged worse the the 240,000 miles stockers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online