F350 front driveline questions.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do all F350s with Dana 60 high pinion kinpin front axle have double cardone front drivelines, or can we use single cardon driveline? I'm asking for F350 with stock height (which I think is 3" blocks)? Curious as I'm running into some issues with front yoke of the BW 4407 in my swap. Driveline shop said that with single cardon, you can't go over 30mph with front hubs locked - but I've got single cardone front driveline in my shed that I think came out of F250.

The BW 4407 must come with two options for front yoke.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All f350's did come with the double cardon joint. And it does take a different yoke on the transfer case. You hear different stories as to why; The f350 is higher with a steeper driveline angle; The f350 needs that joint to clear the transmission crossmember, etc.

All I know is, I have a dana44ttbhd on my f250. I bought it and it had a 4 inch lift kit installed. Since day one, it has had a vibration when in 4x4. It was really bad when you were coasting, or had the hubs locked in but had the transfer case in 2wd. I tried many different shafts and combinations of axle shims to try and get rid of it. I finally bought a f350 front driveshaft, and found that special yoke in a junkyard in New York state. I installed all that, and you can't even tell it's in 4x4 except when the steering wheel pulls in a turn. Smooth as silk with the hubs locked in when in 2wd.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You hear different stories as to why; The f350 is higher with a steeper driveline angle; The f350 needs that joint to clear the transmission crossmember, etc.
While I've always heard that it's the cross member clearance, issue, I think that both actually apply. Now that you said it anyway.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
You can shorten the F250 shaft and put the slip-joint end nearest the tcase. BTDT.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That double cardan gives you some sort of forgiveness when it comes to the angles for the driveshaft being too steep and not matching.

My little Bronco II has one on the rear shaft. While the engine/trans/transfer case in it is at the standard 3 degrees tilt back, with the double cardan the nose on the rear pumpkin is close to 9 degrees nose up. The joint at the rear axle has almost no angle to it.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 1 and 1/8 cap the one with double cardin is 1 and 1/16. Probably cand see the difference.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I dont recall seeing that tcase with a 1330f ubolt yoke before. I would find a CV yoke. Having CV in the front is worth the trouble of coming up with the parts.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you work on T-cases? How can you tell it's a 1330f yoke (whatever that means)? I have the other one on another TCase. Is it OK to use impact to remove/install yoke, or can you damage gears inside? Is there special impact socket to do this. All mine are two fat to fit in the yoke without grinding down outside of socket.