Dana 60 Front Axle inner seal and spindle question

Fort Ford

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm going through and replacing front wheel bearings, seals, etc on my 93 F350 IDI 4wd. Ran in to a couple "man, I wish I had some advice on this" moments. Here we go, let's see what ya'll got:

1. Inside the diff, after removing the gears, there was this orange rtv-type stuff around the outside of the seal. After tapping the seal out, I realized that it wasn't part of the seal. After cleaning it up, it looks like a retaining compound or sealant for the axle tube going into the housing. My question is this: one side it was still intact (beat up a little tho), but the other side it was coming loose, so I just cleaned up the debris, not wanting it floating around in my diff. Is it fine as-is? Should I run a little bead of rtv around where it was just to make sure the axle tube is sealed fully? Anyone have any thoughts? Nervous about having rtv inside the case that could come loose and get into the bearings.

1.b. How does the seal race look? It was pretty rusty, I tried to clean it up where it mattered so the seal would have a proper seat in there... but it was tough to get in there. I just scrubbed with some emry cloth until it smoothed out a little. Should I keep cleaning that up more? I figured I probably would while I waited for parts to show up, but curious what others think. It's clean on the inside of the race, it's just a little rusty towards the outside where some moisture started seeping down.

2. Driver's side spindle.... ugh. So I'm pointing at a groove with the pick. It is enough to catch my fingernail on when scratching it. It's just the hub seal... so if it leaked I guess debris or water could get in the hub. Wouldn't really worry about grease coming out I don't think. Is it worth the $350 it looks like it'll cost to get a replacement? There are a few other nicks and abuse marks on the spindle, so I mean, my first reaction was "oh I'm definitely replacing this"... until I saw how unobtanium they are these days. Not to mention the confusion over the slightly different styles with different seals, but we won't get into that nightmare, ha! What do ya'll think? Was my initial reaction the correct one and I should just suck it up and get the part? Low enough risk that it's probably fine? There is definitely some heat signatures on the spindle as well, so I mean it's in no way a pristine product besides the groove and nicks. But I've seen worse, lol. If anyone has any good line on a replacement part that's more affordable I'm all ears.

Alright, I think that pretty much covers it. I appreciate the endless wisdom and experience of this forum. Lay it on me!

Attachments

• PXL_20210708_224847471.jpg
    PXL_20210708_224847471.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20210708_224853031.jpg
    PXL_20210708_224853031.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20210709_030303310.jpg
    PXL_20210709_030303310.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 14

Black dawg

Reaction score
It will be fine without that rtv inside the diff. If not, I have had to clean up and silicone the plug welds from the cast center to the axle tube, that is generally where it will leak if it does.

get the hole the seal goes in as clean as possible, and use a little silicone on the od of the seal......makes it more difficult to install, but makes sure the od is sealed.

on the spindle, I would run it for now, but pack the area between the seal and the inner bearing with grease.....and watch for another spindle.

Fort Ford

Reaction score
Thanks, Black dawg. Just needed that extra little confirmation I was on the right track. I appreciate your input.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In your middle picture, is your diff housing cracked at the bottom, middle? It may just be from the casting, but it looks like a crack to me.

Fort Ford

Reaction score
In your middle picture, is your diff housing cracked at the bottom, middle? It may just be from the casting, but it looks like a crack to me.
It sure looks like it in the picture, doesn't it? Crazy. It doesn't look like it's cracked irl, but sure gave me a scare when you pointed it out!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online