ZF5 swap front driveshaft question

olBlue

Reaction score
Hi all I have been running my truck all summer now (1994 F250 7.3 4wd) and finally have some time to finish my zf5/d60 swap. All I need is the front driveshaft. Supposedly I have the correct crossmember (even though it looks like the driveshaft would hit) but I need help on what shaft to actually get. I found a shaft with part number F1TZ-4A376-C which comes from the tsb 97-13-22 which fixes F250 vibration. But I'm told I need a special yoke. So my question is.. Will my F250 BW1356 as is work with a double joint driveshaft for a f350? And if someone could shoot me a link to one I need or even a part number. Any help from you guys is yet again greatly appreciated. Im always learning so much on here.

flatwoods

Reaction score
My 93 f350 with factory Dana 60 and zf5 has a double cardan joint for the front output shaft on the transfer case. I also have a transfer case from an f250 that had a single u joint output yoke. You may need the double cardan joint to move the drive shaft further forward to prevent it from hitting the cross member.

olBlue

Reaction score
Yeah I figured I need the f350 double joint shaft no matter what. But I'm more worried that it won't bolt onto my f250 t-case. I did more research and I think that will be the case. Either get a f350 t-case or find a yoke. I do know they make adapting u joints so I may go that route as well.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The yoke swap isn't about the ujoint... its the bolt spacing for the CV.

My buddy had the F250 shaft shortened and ran it.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
^ that'll work with a lift.... otherwise needs to be roughly 2" shorter.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do need a different yoke bolted to your f250 transfer case for the double cardan equipped driveshaft to work. I just did this swap on my f250. It has a 4 inch lift and has always vibrated ever since I had it, and the previous owner said it did also. I experimented with a longer driveshaft and different pumpkin angles with small improvements but it never really went away. Swapped in the double cardan and I can't even tell if the hubs are locked in or not, very smooth.

The proper yokes are getting hard to find. I went to www.car-part.com and found a junkyard in New York had the proper yoke at a reasonable price and they sent it ups to me. Worked great. I think I did also need to buy some special bolts to bolt it up, but found them somewhere else.

olBlue

Reaction score
Ok i guess the search for a yoke or f350 t-case is on. I had the f250 shaft in when i D60 swapped and it worked fine. But with the zf5 its obviously too long and hits the crossmember

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Flip it around? More clearance with the slip yoke at the tcase end.

olBlue

Reaction score
The t-case yoke sits in line with the crossmember so using the f250 shaft can't be done without cutting the crossmember. its like i need the double cardigan to extend the shaft forward to clear the crossmember and then down to meet the d60. Ill have to post up some pictures. Maybe I have the wrong crossmember or something

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The F250 shaft worked in a friend's F250 ('90, IDI/ZF5) - shortened, and installed 'backwards'. I swapped in the D60 and leafs. He did the rest. Didn't rub.

olBlue

Reaction score
I really think somehow I may have the wrong crossmember. Mine has two bolt on gussets, one on each side.

Mike327

Reaction score
I have a 94 F350 SRW and when I did my swap I used the original front driveshaft which has a double cardigan and it cleared the crossmember but I did have to get the front driveshaft shortened and the rear lengthened

olBlue

Reaction score
So here is what I have going on. As you can see the transfer case is in line with the crossmember. Did I put the wrong one on? Or what did I do wrong
You must be registered for see images attach