Remote Turbo mount

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i heard that. thats why i sold my mud truck. when something would break i would be pissed and hated being under it. everytime i would move a wrench or anything a big clunk of dirt would come falling down.
thats why i wash the underside of my trucks once a month or after muding ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pedro, thanks for sharing your project with us. We can all appreciate your hard work! Great results. I think the only thing I'd worry about is the head bolts/gaskets if this engine is not already studded. The bottom end can surely take it. Is it not now obvious, between Pedro's build and the NMB2 build and Rkoch and 91F2504X4's previous builds that what we need is to get more cool air into these engines..and that the big 3 kits left a lot on the table? If I ever build a 6.9/7.3, the turbo that goes back on it will NOT be an ATS 088 or even 093, unless I am under extreme financial duress....that I can promise you!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I see it, the turbo seems to be much more accessible under the truck than stuffed against the firewall like most bolt on kits do. The only thing I would have done differently is to soft mount the turbocharger off some proper hangers on the back and maybe build a splash guard or skid plate under it. I'm also wondering if pushing it up into the spot where the muffler used to go would keep it further out of harms way.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I agree with that....I think that this particular setup could benefit greatly from, at the very least, a splash shield. The last thing I'd want is a hot turbo and then splashing into a water-puddle. A splash guard and some other location for the filter and I'd be extremely tempted to do this myself. But, like I stated, I myself am an off-roader.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with that....I think that this particular setup could benefit greatly from, at the very least, a splash shield. The last thing I'd want is a hot turbo and then splashing into a water-puddle. A splash guard and some other location for the filter and I'd be extremely tempted to do this myself. But, like I stated, I myself am an off-roader.

A guy with a well built truck used to have a compound setup and he put the filter up in the bed to protect it a lil bit. His setup was so efficient that at 20 psi he couldn't get over I believe 950*. I just don't remember his name. Maybe someone else can help me out.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be Barney, the Flatlander. I know our GMC W3500 at work has the turbo mounted under the truck and has some sort of plastic guard around it. We've got 70,000 plus on it with never a turbo or engine issue.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too saw a chevy truck with a turbo underneath about 5 years ago. It was a gasser so sucking a bit of water wasn't as critical. That is an interesting setup. A few points of interest though. Running the oil lines all the way to the turbo. Would it have been better to run a self contained system using coolant? the location of the air filter is of concern what about rerouting it or better yet install an intercooler?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here ya go! Here are the pics of flatlander's setup. He had a Banks in the normal spot and a PSD turbo under his bed.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I'm really liking this idea. Might have to just keep my truck on road and build another mudder. Just build the intake up into the bed with a box around it to keep out the rain.

wmoguy

Reaction score
in lieu of all that hosing, would it be possible to just have a seperate oil supply for the turbo. say mounted in the bed with a simple pump setup to circulate the oil? Anyone know how much flow the turbo requires?

On this setup, is the turbo getting oil pressure from the engine, then the scavenge pump is pushing that oil back to the drain galley in the valley pan?

I'm seeing the value of the remote mount now. My 94 needs a bigger exhaust on it, I think I know now what else will be encompassed in that exhaust system. Can you say HX40/35 hybrid? :sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726