Remote Turbo mount

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Ok so i havent been on in a while but i have made a remote turbo system to mount under my box. that being said oil preasure to the turbo is done and no problem, the thing im tryin to figuree out at the moment is what electric scavange pump should i use to return the oil back to the engine? alls i need is this pump and i can start it and test it out. does any one know of a goood one to use or does anyone have one theyd be interested in selling. let me know i should be able to put picks up in the next few days.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's been a few guys do this setup. One was compound turbos (don't remember what turbos), and one used a DT466 turbo mounted next to the transfer case. IIRC both of them converted the engine to an electric fuel pump, and used the stock lift pump to pump the oil from the turbo back into the engine.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
How would using the stock lift pump work for putting the oil back in the engine? Wouldnt it be to far away from the turbo i think a guy told me before 12" max away from the turbo for a scavange pump.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
How would using the stock lift pump work for putting the oil back in the engine? Wouldnt it be to far away from the turbo i think a guy told me before 12" max away from the turbo for a scavange pump.

stock lift pumps can pull a nice vacuum, most electric pumps can hardly pull a vacuum to save there life. its inherent in the designs of the pumps. otherwise how would a stock lift pump easily pull fuel from the rear of my long crew cab from the engine compartment vs having to keep my electric close to my tank and below it if possible.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I just measured the distance from the rear fuel tank to the lift pump in my truck. The lift pump has to pull fuel about 17 feet. It must really suck.........

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I just measured the distance from the rear fuel tank to the lift pump in my truck. The lift pump has to pull fuel about 17 feet. It must really suck.........

Thats why im still using the stock lift pump :sly:D its worked just fine the last 20 years, why change it ;Sweet

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Using the Stock lift pump seems like a good idea, but i dont really wanna convert to electric fuel pump yet, so i think ill stay with the electric scavange pump idea. i am using a turbo off a 1997 psd and i put the upgraded intake wheel from BD Diesel in it. i have 2.5" exhaust tubing running from the turbo to the intake. so hopefully that will iliminate the need for an intercooler. alls i need is a intake hat and pump. i have a 4" exhaust system feeding the turbo and right out of the turbo it goes to a 4" Mbrp Cool dual exhaust system with no muffler, the turbo is sitting where the muffler would normally be located. i hope it works good everything ive used so far has been stainless steel down to the oil feed / return lines. im also debating if i should use the warm up valve as a exhaust brake or just leave it open. as far as limiting preasure im going to see what it builds without any bov or wastegate and if need be ill put one in. im just waiting for my camera to come in this week i hope. my old one decided it wanted to learn how to swim so i currently dont have one. as soon as i do there will be pics.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4in exhaust to the Turbo is going to kill your exhaust velocity and probably lead to slower spool times.

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That wheel you bought for that turbo wont help you at all. There for 99.5-03 turbos that can experiance surge. Its basicly the wheel from the 94-97 turbos. Basicly you just threw off the balance of you turbo for no gain. Sorry :(

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well lets not ding the design until he has some results to post. We might all be surprised. I'd strongly urge you to consider the conversion to the electric pump and use the mechanical lift as stated. Any electric pump you use is going to want a volume of oil to flow through it, and most will not be happy with what little the turbo returns. The electric conversion is valuable for so many other reasons it makes little sense in your case to avoid it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online