Red fuel additive?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pacific said:
I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you get the DOT searching your truck throughly I seriously doubt you will ever get pinched.

Is your gov't that picky on someone running marked fuel ?

If the gov't started pinching the contractors for running marked fuel I think some of the gov't officials wouldn't be making it to work. I know if the contractors didn't run marked fuel in the trucks the rate of the trucks would have to-go to 80-100 dollars per hour nobody is gonna pay that.

Anyhow like I said don't get in a panic over it your fuel tanks are not going to be dipped.

As for the quality of marked fuel it is the EXACT same as road fuel because it all come out of the same tank. When the fuel guy comes to deliver your fuel its un marked they add the dye to the fuel afterwards.

The one contractor I know goes through about 60,000 dollars worth of fuel every month each one of his fuel trucks holds around 4000 imperial gallons or 12,000 dollars worth of fuel.

Thank you o' wise one. :hail

rubberfish

Reaction score
I run what ever's available when I need it.
If it's marked, oh well :D ;Sweet
Haven't ever had anybody ask me about it.
Touch wood. ;)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Thank you o' wise one. :hail
homer obviously been hitting the sprinkle doughnuts a little too hard again. cookoo cookoo cookoo
if you have seen the older posts from TDS of the ranchers getting busted at the auctions, you know the IRS treats this **** very seriously. Dunno about Canada, but down here running red-dye on the road is a big nono. I'm not saying I haven't done it before, but I make sure my butt is covered. KW, you're blowning it out your ass again...... cookoo cookoo cookoo

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bob, I agree with what you are saying, you are making a choice for you, your pocket book and your truck........... I however wouldnt promote to someone who doesnt know better that it is A-OK to burn marked fuel........... Thats why the originator of this thread started this thread...to find out what this fuel is and what the consequences of burning said fuel are....;Sweet

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
The US gov't must have alot of free time on their hands if they are worrying about people running marked fuel. Here in B.C. or Canada in general the gov't already rapes us for enough tax money a few cents per litre they don't get from fuel road tax isn't a concern.

The only time you may run into problems is if a DOT man is on a power trip and wants to nail you with a violation ticket. You have to attract the DOT mans eye first if they spot something on your vehical then they will stop you. Most of the time it would be for a quick look

The CND gov't gets tax off of marked fuel when its sold to the customers etc so they are not loosing that much tax money. One way of putting it if the contractors don't make money the gov't doesn't make their tax money off the work the contractors do.

I meantioned the one contractor that spends 60 grand a month on fuel the gov't gets 8400 dollars in sales tax off of that if it.

If the person that started this post has clean unmarked fuel in the tank and he gets dipped I don't think there would be enough residue to give the fuel any tint. There maybe a slight hue but who is gonna beable to tell that the truck has ran marked fuel.

What is the fine for running marked fuel in the states ?

Anyhow it makes me LOL to see you guys that scared of getting caught running dyed diesel. We are more concerned about the DOT man looking too closely at a weepy steering box that a truck can be condemned and towed because of a slightly leaking steering box.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
O wise one from Canada :rotflmao

Minimum fine for getting caught with dyed fuel is 1,000.00 to the state revenuers, who then report you to the federal revenuers for another minimum 1,000.00 fine. You can trust me that I know this first hand. There is no loophole in the law, as I found out. They dip you, and put the sample in a sealed container, and send it to a lab for percentage of dyed fuel. 1% will get their attention. I found out later that there was a task force set up at that time in my area, and they were dipping all diesel vehicles that they saw on the road. I was welding on the side of a rural highway, and an unmarked state car pulled up behind me and told me he was going to dip my tanks. I thought about it, and told him not to bother, as I was dirty. ;Really I had pumped dyed fuel that morning into my welder, and as both my tanks were dry getting to the jobsite, I pumped about 5 gallons of dyed into the front tank, to get me back into town.

Conn

Offroad Jeep Dude
Reaction score
a bunch of friends ran dyed fuel around these parts for years back home. (before i bought my first diesel). i had always thought I might run the non-taxed stuff if i ever owned a diesel, but the DOT around here is kinda uptight and i've seen with my own eyes the DOT boys pulling off fuel caps to check the stuff. I have my business name all over my truck and haul Jeeps back and forth constantly, so i'd rather not take a chance on it.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
It is SOOOOO tempting to run it! I just bought off road fuel yesterday for my tractor. 1.72/gal. OH how I wanted to fill my truck! Truck fuel was 2.229.

But, some of the farmers in my area have been caught and the fine aint cheap!

Don

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I just wanted to find out if this could be anything other than dyed fuel and if it would hurt a new IP. It sounds like it is dyed and will not hurt anything. That said I don't have a problem paying the tax. Yes fuel costs are high but the penalty is even higher. And with my luck I would get caught. I will just dilute it down with the legal stuff and be done with it.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Ouch now I can see why you guys are scared to run marked fuel if the fines are upto 1000 dollars :eek:

How much road tax is slapped on your fuel you guys buy ?

For us here in B.C. the rural parts the road tax is about 15 cents a litre or about 55 cents per US gallon.

As for the dye affecting the engine parts don't worry about it if it did then it wouldn't be used in 40,000 dollar marine engines.

Maybe run some Howes through the system to clean up the crud you never know with people that run marked fuel as in what they used to put the fuel into the truck ie old drums or jerry cans.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pacific said:
Ouch now I can see why you guys are scared to run marked fuel if the fines are upto 1000 dollars :eek:

How much road tax is slapped on your fuel you guys buy ?

KW-
try this again.....the fines START at $1000.
on the average, OTR feul is roughly .50/gal state and fed combined. vareies from state to state.....

rubberfish

Reaction score
Hey Fiver, sounds like it's ok.
I've always been told there is no difference,
except for the colour from the dye :thumbsup: .

However, I have heard of dealers trying to void warranties on newer trucks because of marked fuel.
But that's a whole different gong show not relavent to your original post.
There's a few of us bad for wandering off topic, and I think I'm one of them.
Like this for example :Sly

Attachments

• pancake_bunny-1.jpg
    pancake_bunny-1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 5

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
rubberfish said:
Hey Fiver, sounds like it's ok.
I've always been told there is no difference,
except for the colour from the dye :thumbsup: .

However, I have heard of dealers trying to void warranties on newer trucks because of marked fuel.
But that's a whole different gong show not relavent to your original post.
There's a few of us bad for wandering off topic, and I think I'm one of them.
Like this for example :Sly

Now that's darned funny stuff right there! LOL

My brother in law WAS working for a company that was running marked fuel and his partner got stopped by DOT and got the tanks dipped. Next thing my brother in law knew was the DOT guys were hunting him down and dipped his tanks also. :number2
Well The construction company was fined $63,000 us and well the rest is explainable.

Ron

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
How do you guys in the states make any money if you are not allowed to run marked fuel ?

I think your guys gov't is using the laws against marked fuel a license to steal fining a person for using marked fuel for a P/U truck is rediclous. Lets put it this way how much of that road tax actually gets used to fix up the highways in the US or is it more to line the gov't pockets and give them a big wage ?

If the DOT is fining people that kind of money your roads should have not one pot hole and be in perfect shape should be paved in gold. The DOT should be going after unsafe vehicals that cause accidents and deaths not picking on people for running non taxed fuel. By the sounds of it the DOT in the states has way too much power its changed here in B.C. the DOT doesn't have the enforcement like they used to.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hmmm thick pockets. :backoff
Heck even farm diesel is $1.95/gal and road fuel is $2.25/gal
Farmers can't even make a dime either.
I was laughing almost 2 years ago as diesel was way cheaper that gas. Now I have 3 oil burners and it aint funny no more. -cuss

Ron