Recharging AC

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes less R-12 than R134a to do the same cooling.

It takes even less propane, to do the same. And you can use ordinary mineral oil for the oil. And propane is cheap!

Jus' sayin...
Yes but propane goes boom! :oops: . I finally got around to charging it. It was still holding the same vacuum . Unfortunately the r12 that I thought I had.. Wasn't where I thought it was. Lol. So I used air duster cans instead LOL . I bought a 6 pack for $30 , used 3 cans and she's blowing nice and cold!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes but propane goes boom! :oops: . I finally got around to charging it. It was still holding the same vacuum . Unfortunately the r12 that I thought I had.. Wasn't where I thought it was. Lol. So I used air duster cans instead LOL . I bought a 6 pack for $30 , used 3 cans and she's blowing nice and cold!
Let us know how that works out. I tried it 2 years ago and it blew very cold. But it leaked out of every connection and seal.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how that works out. I tried it 2 years ago and it blew very cold. But it leaked out of every connection and seal.
Hopefully it doesn't leak , but if it does at least it was cheap! Lol. It can't leak in to the cab can it?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
As I recall all the fittings are in the engine compartment.

So only if your evaporator springs a leak. (Not common.)
or
If your firewall is not sealed and it leaks into the engine compartment and comes in via the firewall area.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked this up years ago, I think I remember propane is legal and is commonly used for A/C in European countries. Don't know if it still is or not.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is.

And it doesn't make your vehicle any more "explosive" than a gasoline vehicle.

Propane tanks exploding like that, are the thing of hollywood movies. Have you ever seen anyone shoot propane tanks? Friends and I did it. They don't explode. At least not until there is a cloud around the tank, and a spark sets it off.

And the system holds so little propane that even if it did somehow "explode"... In an automotive accident bad enough to do that, it would be the least of your worries.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the system holds so little propane that even if it did somehow "explode"... In an automotive accident bad enough to do that, it would be the least of your worries.
That's a good point. It would be a very small amount in the system. I wasn't completely serious , and I may try it if this stuff leaks out. It's working great for now , we'll see how long it lasts.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Freon is not completely benign either, while it is usually not a problem if some leaks out and you accidently breath some it is a whole other story if it burns. If you are in an accident and the freon is exposed to fire it release phosphene gas that is an extremely dangerous.

everyone has to make their own decision but I personally would not be to wound up about using propane vs freon. you would just have to understand that no AC tech would touch your system after that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7