"Rebuilt" 6.9 idi with ARP studs - don't want to ruin this one too!!

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy an insert with same thread, bore it out and braze it into the injector port. But you will have to pull the Head. Or you can exchange it out for another rebuilt head. If it were mine I would buy another head. Sorry for all your problem but I am sure you will have her up and running Soon. Good Luck
Thanks for the reply Joseph Davis.
I decided to try and use the copper wire "repair". And it seems to be working just fine for now. I figured if I was going to have to remove the head anyways, I might as well try this little trick first.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful because the wire can get cut off and make it way to the cylinder or injector seat. I hope it works. Good Luck

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copper is still softer than the steel valves, and that's thin enough it shouldn't jam betwen the piston and head. It'd probably just melt and make it's way out the exhaust in little bits.

Edit:
One other fix would be to "helicoil" the threads - drill it oversized, tap it to the helicoil tap and put a thread insert in it.
expensive in the cost of the kit, but you could do it in the block. I'd pull the glow plug and push compresed air down it while doing this to keep chips out of the engine.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't think it'll melt before the pistons would. Lol
I thought the wire trick was to wrap it around the threads.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copper is still softer than the steel valves, and that's thin enough it shouldn't jam betwen the piston and head. It'd probably just melt and make it's way out the exhaust in little bits.

Edit:
One other fix would be to "helicoil" the threads - drill it oversized, tap it to the helicoil tap and put a thread insert in it.
expensive in the cost of the kit, but you could do it in the block. I'd pull the glow plug and push compresed air down it while doing this to keep chips out of the engine.
I had to Heli-coil the belt tensioner just recently, and while it's an expensive repair, still beats having to replace the bracket.

So far, I've only taken the truck on short drives. But there seems to be no leaking at the injector.

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I feel like the threads need to pinch the wire between each other. That is, the threads from the injector need to sandwich the wire between them and the threads from the injector hole.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But, the pistons are being cooled by oil from below, and have plenty of thermal mass to wick heat away. A tiny piece of copper wire, on the other hand, would be just free-floating, and(if it didn't just get pushed out the exhaust valve) would have nothing to cool it, especially if it was inside the pre-cup.

Yup

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Think the wire laying over the hole will get cut and the wire wont melt but if the exhaust valve pinches it, it will ruin the valve seat making it leak. LOL But when you look at the injector bore no missing threads so Bad rebuilt injector because they ran a die over the threads cutting the diameter size down. lol mic the injector.

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s another ruined exhaust seat on an already ruined head LOL
Very true.

I'll run her like this until something fails. Pulling the head after dumping time and energy I didn't have into it, makes me shy away from anymore work.

I can only hope that upon screwing in the injector, the wire twisted and fell into the threads naturally.

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Think the wire laying over the hole will get cut and the wire wont melt but if the exhaust valve pinches it, it will ruin the valve seat making it leak. LOL But when you look at the injector bore no missing threads so Bad rebuilt injector because they ran a die over the threads cutting the diameter size down. lol mic the injector.
I won't pretend to know what "mic the injector" means. And Google keeps giving me pictures of microphones and computer animation.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It means to use a micrometer to measure the outside diameter of the threads on the outside of the injector body on the one that's not tightening up in the hole.