"Rebuilt" 6.9 idi with ARP studs - don't want to ruin this one too!!

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It means to use a micrometer to measure the outside diameter of the threads on the outside of the injector body on the one that's not tightening up in the hole.
I see. Because the threads look good, the port is probably too big. Thanks, IDIBRONCO

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But, the pistons are being cooled by oil from below, and have plenty of thermal mass to wick heat away. A tiny piece of copper wire, on the other hand, would be just free-floating, and(if it didn't just get pushed out the exhaust valve) would have nothing to cool it, especially if it was inside the pre-cup.

Yup
I was just going off of melting points. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the injector threads have had a Die run over the threads. Meaning The Threads on the Injector have been cut down in size because someone striped the treads on the Injector. When you measure the outside diameter of the injector with a Micrometer it will equal the inside diameter of the injector port on head. Making it a loose fit. just use an injector out of the blown up motor or wrecking yard and see if it tightens up. I hope it works. Good Luck

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the injector threads have had a Die run over the threads. Meaning The Threads on the Injector have been cut down in size because someone striped the treads on the Injector. When you measure the outside diameter of the injector with a Micrometer it will equal the inside diameter of the injector port on head. Making it a loose fit. just use an injector out of the blown up motor or wrecking yard and see if it tightens up. I hope it works. Good Luck
When I first got this rebuilt 6.9 home, I pulled the injectors and noticed this particular injector had black RTV around the threads. I assumed it was just the injector, and didn't worry about it since I was installing the injectors I had for my blown engine onto this engine.

But as it turned out, the injector that I used from my blown motor still wouldn't torque down. I don't know how they managed to torque this injector down with just black RTV. But really we didn't run the motor very long before we purchased it.

Unfortunately, I think the problem is with the injector port.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a tread groove checker for measurement that comes with a tap and die kit, and see which one has the lesser thread, head port or injector.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to answers this question is by using measurement tools on the head and the injector. Good Luck

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

I keep advancing the IP a little at a time. I've gone about as far as I think I want to go. The motor is pretty loud but I'm still getting smoke at idle.

In the picture there is a circled line: that's the line that was scratched in from the BullMoose folks. It seems to be the center of the pump. The dotted line was also already there. You can see how much I've advanced it so far.

I'm still burning my glow plugs. I feel like this is abnormal. Considering the plugs are not hooked up.

I can move it more, but I think because I have the bull moose pump tuned for a 7.3, that I need to turn down the pump. I'm having a difficult time finding a thread explaining how to turn down the fuel.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks again
You must be registered for see images attach

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're burning glowplugs, why are you still advancing timing?

I really don't know.

I've heard two different opinions on this. It sort of makes sense to me that more fuel would make higher Temps. I also feel like the more advanced I've been moving the timing the cooler my egts have got. But I should have did a better job at recording it.

I just don't understand why I'm burning up plugs.

I was burning the plugs up when I had the timing at the very top.

I'm wondering if because I have that moose pump tune for the 7.3, could it just be too much fuel for the 6.9.

I can turn the pump all the way back, but I'll still burn up plugs, and then I'll just get more smoke.

I feel like when I had the 7.3, I can do 70 miles an hour at around 800 egts. Now I can't do even 65 miles an hour without it hitting 900 egts.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Timing will play a big role in egts. You need it hooked to a meter.
Have you checked the timing registry?

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing will play a big role in egts. You need it hooked to a meter.
Have you checked the timing registry?

I haven't. I'll look on there real soon. I was hoping once I Advanced it enough, it would all work itself out.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would say that pump is way too big. guys on here have run those on a 7.3 and it was a little much fuel.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
i would say that pump is way too big. guys on here have run those on a 7.3 and it was a little much fuel.
But I don't see how that would cause his glowplugs to burn up. Yeah, sure, the egt is higher, but that's cylinder temp, not necessarily precup temp. (I think, may very well be wrong)