"Rebuilt" 6.9 idi with ARP studs - don't want to ruin this one too!!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i do agree with you there. i guess i was just making a general statement..

it is really strange that the GPs are burning up. the IP gear could be skipped a tooth or two on the cam gear? or the pyro is way off and its running hotter then it reads.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe not cylinder temps are the problem, but cylinder pressures. Timing plays huge role in this and getting meter on it will help you get that squared away

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to a shop and let them diagnose it! All the adjustment are not working so far; why mess with any thing else. Most shop will give you a list of what they need to fix and it will be cheaper than a new engine. $100 will give you a list, and you will decide where you want to start. The IP port is on passenger side down low on injector pump and you will see the cover. You can also YouTube it. I would not mess with that because you can kill the pump. If the Engine is running lean that can create high heat in combustion chamber and melt Glow Plugs so pay attention to which ones are melting because that will be the problem cylinder. Good Luck

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most shops do not have timing equipment or much experience with these trucks unless you get lucky and find the grey beard in the back that knows what he talking about. Be very weary taking it to a shop and asking what all you need to replace.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the IP hole for adjusting the fuel. You could back the screw off 2 Hex, takes a 5/32" Hex wrench. Be careful taking the cover off, you can ruin the gasket easily.
Use a mirror to find the hole as you rotate the engine. you can take the lemon shaped cover off the front of the IP gear tower, watch there when the dowel is at 4 o'clock the fuel hole should be close. If you stick the wrench in the hole, it's easy to break off the wrench if you turn the engine. The screw turns very hard. The other pic shows the screw.

You keep fu**king with the timing. Why don't you rent the timing equipment from @icanfixall and then you'll know what you have. With a turbo set the timing at 10.5* to 11.5*.

You must be registered for see images attach

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the IP hole for adjusting the fuel. You could back the screw off 2 Hex, takes a 5/32" Hex wrench. Be careful taking the cover off, you can ruin the gasket easily.
Use a mirror to find the hole as you rotate the engine. you can take the lemon shaped cover off the front of the IP gear tower, watch there when the dowel is at 4 o'clock the fuel hole should be close. If you stick the wrench in the hole, it's easy to break off the wrench if you turn the engine. The screw turns very hard. The other pic shows the screw.

You keep fu**king with the timing. Why don't you rent the timing equipment from @icanfixall and then you'll know what you have. With a turbo set the timing at 10.5* to 11.5*.

I appreciate the response OLDBULL. I definitely need to get this thing timed so I can at least eliminate that as a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As for turning the fuel screw, I usually use the 1/4" wrench that I loosened the cover screws with as a "cheater" on the end of the allen wrench.

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question: This motor was "rebuilt". I'm wondering if they could have got the Crankshaft gear off by one tooth. I'm not sure that would explain my glow plug problem, but if they did have it off by a tooth, what sorts of things would I see wrong?

I'm working on contacting someone off the timing registry. So, until I get it properly timed, I'm not moving the IP or installing any more Glow plugs.

also, if it IS off by a tooth, would one be able to tell by using there timing equipment?

Thanks for all the help...

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you in "North California"? I am in Modesto and might be able to work out getting together to time your truck. You mentioned a "shop", biggest thing with these trucks is that there are almost no "shops" that know anything about these engines let alone how to time them properly. If it doesn't work out for us to get together to time it there is a timing registry thread and there should be someone on it who can help.
PM'ed you when you have time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online