Rear End Squeak - What could it be?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
This is really getting on my nerves. I put this boneyard rear in after the truck was hit this winter. It squeaked a little in the winter but not much. Now it squeaks when I take off after sitting for an hour or more & continues for about 5 minutes, then goes away. It's not the u-joints because I replaced both ends when I put the rear in. I did have to beat the yoke off the pinion to tap a broken retainer bolt out from the PO. Could I have ruined something doing that? The white dust cap got mangled in the process, but I didn't think that would matter. I've sprayed it with everything from CRC to WD-40 to white grease. I've even tried to pack around it with HD grease. No luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Yep, Brand New. I did the rear swap, rear brakes, front brakes, both u-joints on the rear drive shaft all at the same time. I was looking thru the LMC catalog. I think I might need the whole pinion seal, bushing, bearing, dust cap, blah blah blah. Sound like a possiblity?

waynebo

Reaction score
Yea its your brakes,mine do that and i've seen many do it.After about 5 minutes the drum heats up enough your shoes no longer drag and it quits.I would not think it to be a pinion bearing as it would not quit and it would develop into a roar.Check your pinion by grabing the yoke and see if its lose,if not dont worry about it,waynebo ;Sweet

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once it stops squeaking, check the temperature of both drums and see if one is warmer than the other. Just an idea.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
JPR said:
Once it stops squeaking, check the temperature of both drums and see if one is warmer than the other. Just an idea.

I had a problem with one drum getting hot & eating shoes. Turned out to be a bad ebrake cable. I put new shoes on & ordered the ebrake cable. Still haven't installed it yet. If it was the rear brakes, wouldn't the squeal stop when I hit the brakes?, even when they are cold? It doesn't stop. :confused:

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
how about the shocks,or maybe if our springs have those plastic antisqeak things between the the leaves?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I jacked it up & put it in drive. Definitley something in the rear pinion area. I sprayed the yoke &surrounding area with wd-40 & the squeak dissappeared.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online