Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah these had the retractor on the side beside the rear seats. Then had the plastic latch part in the center. In the picture I have them snapped together. My center seat belts both front and rear are just typical seatbelts that you pulled tight vs having a retractor?

You have a pic of the right side? Also I'm an 89 vs a 91? Maybe they mades some changes? IDK.

- Jeremy

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi jeremy, here is a pic of what I have on the right side.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yesterday I sold my old scrap cage to a local fellow, I pull up on his property and see this gem. 21k original miles, CCLB 4x4. 92. It is a 460 unfortunately, but dang she was clean.

You must be registered for see images attach

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you've got a shoulder belt. I'm no help on that one. Mines just a lap belt. But you should be able to grab a drivers side shoulder belt out of a regular cab and use it. I'm 99% sure they are the same. All the plastic and metal on the rear of the crewcabs appears to be just regular cab moved back. My cab was all setup for shoulder belts in the rear, but was missing the shoulder mount nut plate. It's got them now though.

-Jeremy

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing a pull with the truck tomorrow in stock work class. I have been reading to pick a gear you can hit 35 mph in. Seems like 3 low is optimal for me, seems to take a little bit less slipping to get it moving easy vs 2hi. Im most concerned about axle wrap, 37s, stock 4" blocks. If I start hopping ill get out of it. Either way, a gear that hits 35mph I will have to slip the clutch to get the weight moving. Im not planning on doing pulling frequently, more just that its cheap and pretty close to me.

tire pressure? any other tips? Wish i had some time to fab some ladder bars up.

Right now i run around with the WG unhooked, hit a max of about 22 psi, but thats empty, 4th flooring it. Wondering if I should hook it back up. Dont want to go over 30 psi just for peace of mind. TBH dont know what its set at.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What gears are you running? If 4.10, I would go 2nd low. I think 3rd will be way too high and you will bog and smoke the clutch with those big tires. You have 3.73s don't you with the new axles. May even want to drop to 1 st low. Key is to get it out of the hole and spinning smooth then mash it. 3.73s with those big grabby tires will be tough to turn. No way in third. I would try second and if the sled is weighted heavy and you don't get a good launch, shut it down quick. Most places do a 75 or 100 foot rule so that if you've got the wrong hear you can stop, pull you back and go again. Pay attention in the drivers meeting for details there.

I would recommend running the rear tires up about to the max rated pressure to take some bounce out. Make sure your hitch point is stout. Most sanctioning bodies require a helmet. Read the rules carefully.

Have fun and don't break it too bad. If it really starts bouncing hard, it may try to sling the driveshafts out so be wary of too much bounce.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I ran in the work stock diesel class, only 4 people were in it, but a bunch of stock looking trucks pulled in 2.5 class. I don't know the difference and couldn't find anyone that could tell me. No idea what sled weight was.

Anyway pulled in 2 low, got about half to 3/4 way into the throttle and my clutch just did the most impressive smoke show I have seen. It smelled awful, have never seen such a clutch smoke show before.
So on one hand I was pissed because this thing has like 5k miles on it, on the other, the trucks got some torque man! I let off it a it and rolled back in and it wanted to make jam but the clutch just couldn't do it. It seemed to slip one the day after and I smelled and heard it, but then afterwards on a 3 he drive home seemed fine, lugging and flooring it. No smell or slip. I know it is hurt though. I'll post a vid soon.

FYI it's a luk smf. I'm gunna need something better. I was also the only manual truck there. Tons of Chevys with dancing front ends..was scary to watch but fun. Anew 6.7 just murdered the 2.5 class pulling like340 ft or so.l, but pretty sure either a turbo deal, get or he went because he had some white haze after the pull and the smoke got worse and worse 5 mins into idling.

Man I'm hooked though! I want to hook to something and pull some weight. Actually get this engine to work!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha.
I'd love to get a better clutch but the south bend 425 horse one is like a grand! I think I'd rather keep a stock one and just..not pull lol. But then I always know in the back of my mind, the clutch is the weak point..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$825, but its the fluwheel, bolts, and the whole schabang.

havnt sliped mine once.

heaviest ive towed was 5 tons tho

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does centerforce make a clutch for these trucks? We ran them in the truck for a long time and they did pretty good until the power got stupid. [emoji15]

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i remember freebird picking one up, but he never reported back, or i was too lazy to read his post.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way I see it, better the clutch than the trans or rear axle. Bout the only thing cheaper would be u joints. Clutch is a pain though to do I know. And those nicer clutches sure cost a lot more than the stock.. Ish. Luk deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the clutch is 700$+ i hope its te trans that goes lol, can get the 2wd ones for less than 300 all day. U joint would be best, i went with 1410 throughout so dont think those are breaking anytime soon..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger