Rattling calipers... shim kit available? Updated - solution found!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stinking calipers rattle :mad: I change the retaining pins about twice a year but they really do not help. Is anyone aware of a shim kit that would tighten them up? I am referring to the <O> shaped metal things with rubber core that fit the caliper to the knuckle top and bottom.

I have considered bending a sheet metal V to tighten them up... and I even found an old thread here about a kit that was available but the link is long dead.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they rattling side to side against the caliper piston or up and down? I’ve seen where the caliper brackets are worn to the point of having slop so that might be your issue if the clips won’t fix it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the slides are worn down on your brackets. How long has it been since you replaced the sliding pins?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
He replaces the pins twice a year.
How hard is it to swap the newer style pin? (Caliper, bracket, and all) if even possible...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re-read your original post, I think a swap to the newer style would be doable but I don’t think it would bolt on, it would neee some bracketing just looking at pictures of the two

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put new slider things on last week. First rattle was while backing out of the garage. Enough to drive me to :drunk:

My year of axle (93) the caliper slide bracket are a cast part of the knuckle (I have read that the older ones are actually bolted onto the knuckle so aftermarket conversions are available).

@79jasper I have also read that the knuckles can be changed to a newer one (1997?) but that seems to be expensive and I would really want to be sure that everything fit before attempting.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edit: Kit did not fit - do not buy... read my followup below (post 15)!

Ok, I think I found what I am looking for. This is exactly what I was going to make but this kit contains a variety of shim thicknesses. https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/270-E6891.html
You must be registered for see images attach

Unconfirmed cross reference from another website:
Same As Euclid E-6891, Dayton H8205A, Dayton H8205, Dayton CH8205, Batco 18-H08205, Carlson H8205, Leland K-485

And a link to the kit on Rockauto :D
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/carlson,H8205,disc+brake+hardware+kit,1736

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice shim kit. Heres hoping this will fix the rattle. My 79 chevy C30 1 ton camper special rattled no matter what I did for it. Finally just lightly road the brakes when the road was ruff. Problem temporally solved...

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ordered the kit from Rockauto (I even remembered to use the discount code from the sponsor this time :idiot: )

I will report back once this is installed... only concern so far is that this product causes cancer in California :flipa

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update! Ok, that shim kit didn't work worth a damn... the shims do not fit and even with the decent sheet metal equipment I have it was not worth using. After much research I went to plan B: I welded the worn area with 7018 AC to build it up and ground / filed to fit. Worked like a charm and only took two hours per side. No rattling any more! I only welded the bottom slide area, top surface was left untouched.

Plan C will be coming soon when I install newer style knuckles with bolt-on calipers.