Updating E4OD from Early to Late MLPS

Daryl4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still thinking I'll order a Baumann controller in the morning. From the Baumann instructions...

The Quick 4 does not support the early ATR (MLPS or Range Sensor) connector used from 1989 to 1994. It was found to not be adequately waterproof. Ford services the old sensor by providing the new one with the updated connector shell and instructions for replacing it. If you don’t already have the 1995 and up range senor, you will need to purchase it. US Shift sells the updated range sensor as well as Ford.

I can buy a MLPS/Range Sensor but that connector kit sounds handy so I can get it done before the controller arrives. Anyone know if this kit with the connector is still available and if so what the part number is? Or in the alternative a place to get that connector new? Or do I have to grab one from a junk yard?

Secondly any issues with doing this swap I need to be aware of before I dig in. It looks like 3 bolts and some wiring, anything else to it?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is take lots of pictures .....and provide good technical data...and post it here.

Daryl4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is take lots of pictures .....and provide good technical data...and post it here.
LOL, I'll be sure to do that. In fact I have a lot of that to do, this is a rather unique rig with a unique history that I have big intentions for.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, I'll be sure to do that. In fact I have a lot of that to do, this is a rather unique rig with a unique history that I have big intentions for.
Ya cause I wanna do same...convert my 91 E4OD to utilize bauman controler if I keep a juicer...i want to keep it but....seems like lotta work to build one up...billet main tripple disc...steel planetaires etc....

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I'm still thinking I'll order a Baumann controller in the morning. From the Baumann instructions...

The Quick 4 does not support the early ATR (MLPS or Range Sensor) connector used from 1989 to 1994. It was found to not be adequately waterproof. Ford services the old sensor by providing the new one with the updated connector shell and instructions for replacing it. If you don’t already have the 1995 and up range senor, you will need to purchase it. US Shift sells the updated range sensor as well as Ford.

I can buy a MLPS/Range Sensor but that connector kit sounds handy so I can get it done before the controller arrives. Anyone know if this kit with the connector is still available and if so what the part number is? Or in the alternative a place to get that connector new? Or do I have to grab one from a junk yard?

Secondly any issues with doing this swap I need to be aware of before I dig in. It looks like 3 bolts and some wiring, anything else to it?

You can get the updated TRS at any good parts store. It comes as a kit. New sensor with a connector shell and some distructions to help.

Daryl4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the updated TRS at any good parts store. It comes as a kit. New sensor with a connector shell and some distructions to help.
I ordered a Motorcraft SW5978 this morning. Looks like what I'm after and being Motorcraft likely good quality.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah,that's the one you want.I've tried other brands and they didn't last.Having a fresh reman,neutral out and bang back into gear,gives you an awful sinking feeling.:D
The motorcraft one,comes with the good instruction sheet to re-pin it too.