NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION! Moose Boost turbo KITS now available!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
99% of the time, word of mouth is better advertising than anything else.
But with only a handful of people having them, word doesn't spread very fast. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
99% of the time, word of mouth is better advertising than anything else.

Perhaps that's true with selling a product.In my experience,with selling a service,I find, I need to spend several thousand per year on advertising to keep busy (which,more than makes up for the cost and gives great returns.)
/hijack.:D

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always talk about this kit with local idi guys. No ones heard of it. I think it will be a strong competitor once it takes off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really want one. I'll just have to convince myself to spend twice what I paid for the truck! Oh well, they say you've gotta pay to play!

I might just get a used hypermax first. I can always build off that. Problem is I still need injectors and a pump too LOL it never ends!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had this turbo on my 6.9 for roughly 4 years now. I've posted about it several times. I mod'ed my Banks kit, and intake manifold, but it was worth it. It's not gonna tow like my '17 F450, but I wouldn't expect it to. But, it is much more pleasant to tow the camper than it ever was with the Banks kit.

No I haven't dyno'ed it. Likely never will unless an opportunity to do so falls in my lap. Don't care to be honest and I really don't have the time to hunt for a place to do pulls. All I care about is how much it improved the hauling capability of my IDI.

And, for guys asking for making dyno runs with multiple turbo setups on the same rig..... That's a huge task. Do you know how much work goes into swapping turbo sets out of a rig? How much time and effort that'd take? That's fine if you have nothing else to do and money/time to burn. I know I don't. I know Mel doesn't. My suggestion would be to buy the kits, find a dyno, and enjoy doing the comparison yourself.

Heath

Last edited:

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Heath,

So you removed the Mitsubishi turbo and installed Mel's in it's place with a little mod or two. And performance improved greatly. Are we talking quicker spool up, more boost or both? I've been thinking with all of the new Borg SXE turbos all we need to do is size and adapt one. Sounds like Mel did the work for us. Do you have journal or ball bearings?

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@laserjock also installed the same turbo on his banks platform, but he got a turbo with a t3 housing instead of the t4 divided like heath, elijah, and I got. I think it saved him some adapting, but he had an exhaust leak in the up pipes and some motor issues. He has a build thread on here too and will probaly soon have his truck up and going again.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath,

So you removed the Mitsubishi turbo and installed Mel's in it's place with a little mod or two. And performance improved greatly. Are we talking quicker spool up, more boost or both? I've been thinking with all of the new Borg SXE turbos all we need to do is size and adapt one. Sounds like Mel did the work for us. Do you have journal or ball bearings?
T3 undivided to T4 divided adaptors on the Banks turbine inlet. Cut the horn off the intake manifold. Modified the DP. Made a new throttle cable mount. Had to reroute the intercooler pipe a hair. Had to fabricate an oil return block. Pictures are in Mel's first Moose Boost thread from a few years ago.

If I were never gonna tow with my IDI, I'd drop a size in the turbine. If you are planning on using your truck as a truck (i.e. work it), I'd stick with the larger turbine. Spools quick (see my youtube video) and EGT's are much improved. Less smoke. It's is a much better turbo for these IDI's.

Like I said, better EGT's, which means, better oil temps, which means better coolant temps..... that equals much less stress on the IDI and me when hauling.

Heath

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@laserjock also installed the same turbo on his banks platform, but he got a turbo with a t3 housing instead of the t4 divided like heath, elijah, and I got. I think it saved him some adapting, but he had an exhaust leak in the up pipes and some motor issues. He has a build thread on here too and will probaly soon have his truck up and going again.
Yep I had some motor issues alright. After having it all apart I'm surprised it made the boost it did. I'm hoping for a little better this time around.