Quick Steering Wheel question - wrap it with tape?

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, here's an easy one for ya.

The truck I bought had a chintzy, ripped steering wheel cover on it. I pulled it off, and sure enough, under it was a bare wheel that's sticky as all get out, worn out, and cut in a few places.

Ultimately I'd love to buy a replacement, but at the moment, time and money absolutely prohibit that. For the interim, I was thinking of taking some Gorilla Tape (Seems to be fairly abrasion resistant, and less prone to get gummy and sticky than Duct Tape. And it's black) and wrapping the steering wheel with that. I'd wrap it like a baseball bad grip, or the like.

Has anyone done this? Am I stupid for doing it? Will I regret it in a week?

Thanks!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good lace-on leather cover would be less expensive than Gorilla Tape and a lot easier to put on. :)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno...be worried bout some sticky mess...but eh...maybe hockey tape for it...or that nice self laminating stuff thats super expensive but has no glue..its based on heat generated when it's stretched and adheres to itself.

suppose all a matter of $$$ or personal taste...

If it was me....I"d just tear off the stock cover and use some kind of GOOD OLE chemical to remove residue....

WD40....gas....xylene...what ever....don't forget to breathe deep...nose hits free! LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Both of my trucks had the steering wheel rim wear down. I tried the electrical take on the ford but it got sticky because thats what it is. Plus the top of the wheel in direct sunlite is where is wore thru. Finally my daught "fixedit" for me. She bought me a nice wheel cover that really needs to be forced over the wheel. Its ribbed (get your minds out of the gutter) and feels great on long drives... Wow.. this is going horrible... Anyway It works great and there is nothing sitcky to deal with....

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont really care for the new slip over type that everyone has gone to. If you look hard enough at the auto parts store, you can still get the type that Midnight rider mentioned. I have always used them in all my cars and have one in my truck now.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of my trucks had the steering wheel rim wear down. I tried the electrical take on the ford but it got sticky because thats what it is. Plus the top of the wheel in direct sunlite is where is wore thru. Finally my daught "fixedit" for me. She bought me a nice wheel cover that really needs to be forced over the wheel. Its ribbed (get your minds out of the gutter) and feels great on long drives... Wow.. this is going horrible... Anyway It works great and there is nothing sitcky to deal with....

Lmao!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
........ Its ribbed .....and feels great on long drives... Wow.. this is going horrible... Anyway It works great and there is nothing sitcky to deal with....

Keep telling yerself that Gary....don't make ya a bad person........

I think you've gone over the edge with this GMM hand model and such....***** LOL

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont really care for the new slip over type that everyone has gone to. If you look hard enough at the auto parts store, you can still get the type that Midnight rider mentioned. I have always used them in all my cars and have one in my truck now.
Couldn't agree more! I drove a car with the "slip-on" steering wheel cover once, and I ripped it off within a couple of miles...I found it to be very uncomfortable. My first choice would be to find a junkyard steering wheel with a good factory leather cover, but failing that, the lace-on leather cover works nicely...

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Its ribbed (get your minds out of the gutter) and feels great on long rides...
fixed it.

Lace on leather. Pep boys had a number of different ones for different rim diameters. I want to find a good dense foam tape, wrap my wheel and then put a leather cover over that.