Steering wheel just fell into my lap.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can confirm, you have to pull those pins to rebuild the column. But to answer @hacked89 in most cases (and skill level) it's easier to replace columns.

I didn’t have a question anymore I might have not worded that clearly. I’ve wanted to take one apart that was broken for awhile until recently I got one. I wanted to just “untilt” it by welding it or bolting it together but you really can’t. That’s what experimenting is for.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometime taking things apart for the hell of it is enough :cheers:

I mentioned it in the video but in hindsight if I did the order of tests in reverse and was able to fuse the pot metal to the frame I think the experiment would have worked at step 1. I have mig and arc though and the pot metal wasn’t magnetic

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I wish I had a picture of it, but a buddy of mine has a 1989 f150, I call it his Frankentruck, because it's a 1980 chassis he moved a bunch of 1989 bronco parts over, like complete interior, engine, trans, front clip... Anyways.. He used two really big sheet metal screws at the pivot point near the bottom of the column. Seems to be working so far.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a picture of it, but a buddy of mine has a 1989 f150, I call it his Frankentruck, because it's a 1980 chassis he moved a bunch of 1989 bronco parts over, like complete interior, engine, trans, front clip... Anyways.. He used two really big sheet metal screws at the pivot point near the bottom of the column. Seems to be working so far.

I drilled and tapped a bolt there that takes the place of the original springs and pivot but it will still rock side to side a bit. This isn’t perfect science but I think if I did everything I messed around with but without welding the ujoint it would have worked.

I welded ujoint because (I have four columns currently and looking for more) one of my fixed columns for reference was solid there. I figured kill two birds with one stone.

The tapped bolt I did actually let’s you fine tune the tilt adjustment

The POC never goes to production though.