pumping wmo

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Ok I got some barrels and made a filtering system and even talked the local bike mechanic into letting me come by and get all of his wmo. when I went to get it i spent about and hour with a holley blue and gave up and got a 8 gpm diesel pump from tractor supply and went about 30-45 min with that and only got about 8 gallons between both pumps.:dunno:mad:

Needless to say I gave up on pumping the 120+ gallons that he had and came home.

So wth do yall use to pump the wmo I dont have the option to thin it, and I am not waiting that long for that little oil. I looked at a hand crank one but it was 8 gallons/ 100 strokes so that would prob work out to the same gph

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
ok I just read into the archives a little and am thinking about an electric vacum pump to suck a vacum on the barrels rather than trying to pump stuff. but then I have to make positive all fittings are sealed

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I used something like this when I was a kid at an automotive shop to empty their tank. I don't seem to remember it taking too long...

Also, pumping that unfiltered oil through a diesel pump will kill it early for sure. The viscosity of the WMO would cut its life down pretty bad I would imagine.

Hope this helps!

PZ

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
You could also try this. Looks really really easy, and you could just hook a 1/2 inch drill to it and let it go with a rubber band around the trigger.

At 4 gal/min it would take less than 15minutes to fill a 55 gallon drum.

PZ

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have used barrel pumps and they can tire you out quick, moving WMO compared to fuel with these pumps is a whole other ballgame. i have also used a clear water pump from harbor freight, the $30 one. it can pump but it’s a biotch to prime and get going since it can’t prime itself. it is also slow, not much more than a gallon a minute. i have saved the oil pump out of a blown IDI to convert. Unless you stumble upon something really cheap gear pumps are very expensive.

i plan on doing a similar conversion to the link. There is thread here somewhere where a guy used a starter motor and a oil pump. it supposedly pumped really well and could be portable with a battery. i don’t think a starter would hold up under constant duty though.

one big advantage of an oil pump though is it can self prime, that’s my plan of direction.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Im thinking thats mine as well unless anyone has any comments on the vacum idea, I bet I could find a spare tank laying around to use as a canister so I wouldnt have to worry about plugging and unplugging the vacum lines back there. then connect it to the barrels with air hose quick connects.

or what about something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/250-...7395291QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Im just skeptical of the amount any pump will flow now based on what happened yesterday.

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I use this,Flowjet 3000 series pump, I think it was around $70.00 from a local Tractor Supply. takes about 4 minutes to fill up a 5 gallon tank pushing through 3 house filters. 12V operated.

Attachments

• IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    747 KB · Views: 74

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
darrin do you have a gravity feed coming to it? my only option is to suck through the top opening in the barrel. Is that actually supposed to spray rig pump or was it back by the actual diesel pumps or do you have a part number..nvm I found it it does say specifically not to run petroleum products through it. how long have you been running it?

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your pump is going to be the most expensive item you will buy. the larger diameter you have on the suction side, the faster you will move liquid. a minimum diameter of 1in will still take you all day. 2in will make your life easier but will quadruple the cost of the pump. I mugged a diaphram pump off a waste oil hauler and adapted it to be driven off a hydraulic PTO:D. It doesn't pump as quickly as it used to, it can empty a 55 gal drum in 10 mins in the past, it takes me about 20 mins now.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drill and tap a Chevy 350 oil pump. Works great and is very fast. Biofarmer put mine together. It has a pulley that is turned by an electric motor that pumps the oil through a heater before the filters.

What's better for pumping oil than an actual oil pump. I think it was a round 30 bucks at autozone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online