pumping wmo

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Mine is a belt-driven pump and pushes through the filters. I have a gauge on the outlet side of the pump and keep an eye on the pressures. Since my WMO is thinned before filtering, I only run 5PSI while filtering. When the pressure goes up, I know it's time to change filters. I never let it go above 40PSI.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
how many gallons do you normally get out of a set of filters?

PZ

That depends on the oil I get. I get a lot of my oil from the railroad I work for. It's 20w-40 and usually clogs the filters after a couple hundred gallons. When I get used automobile oil, the filters last much longer. Car oil also doesn't require nearly as much kerosene to thin it properly.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I Kerosene easier on plastics and rubbers than ULSD? I know that you need Viton o-rings in the fuel system on our trucks for the ULSD, but didn't for the older diesel. Will ULSD mess with the PVC?

I ask because I was planing on running a ULSD (#2) WMO mix through my filters, and storing it in 55 gallon food grade drums. However after reading about your set up, it seems like Kerosene will thin it better, and it may not be as ******* the plastics.

PZ

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I Kerosene easier on plastics and rubbers than ULSD? I know that you need Viton o-rings in the fuel system on our trucks for the ULSD, but didn't for the older diesel. Will ULSD mess with the PVC?

I ask because I was planing on running a ULSD (#2) WMO mix through my filters, and storing it in 55 gallon food grade drums. However after reading about your set up, it seems like Kerosene will thin it better, and it may not be as ******* the plastics.

PZ

To be honest, I've never had to change any O-rings to run my fuel. No leaks, in 3 years! The PVC has also lasted that long, with no signs of degradation.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Do you direct drive it? or does it go though a belt set up?
Belt & pulley reduction because it's a stationary 110v system and also because I need the torque obtained from from the reduction to push oil through my centrifuge. For a mobile application I think I would just go to the pick & pull and grab a likely starter off of something and take it to a shop and have it rewound to behave more like a fairly torquey 12v motor. You could couple for direct drive or do the belt & pulley reduction method.

Also, do you pump your WMO through the filters, or do you suck it through the filters?

I do neither, I heat, gravity feed & recirculate through big ass bag filters after thinning with diesel. The only pressurized filters on my set up are the ones that the final delivery hose and nozzle-handle are screwed into. I feel that when you are trying to get as much filtration as you possibly can out of a system (and I take it down to 0.5micron) that pressure can actually work against you, by pushing particles through that normally would have been trapped in the filter media. Here is the rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjznCg_ST6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzhsQ0yw4Mo

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
That's a sweet looking setup!

Where do you get your bag filters? What kind of flow, do you get from the SBC oil pump? I had to put the smallest available pulley on my electric motor. It's around 1.25" and the PS pump pulley is about 5" I'm getting 1-2GPM out of my pump setup.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I am interested in your flow as well. 1-2 GPM is not fast enough for me. I was hoping for the 4gpm range. (the dude that made the SBC pump was getting about 4gpm with WVO, so I was hoping for similar results with WMO)

PZ

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I am interested in your flow as well. 1-2 GPM is not fast enough for me. I was hoping for the 4gpm range. (the dude that made the SBC pump was getting about 4gpm with WVO, so I was hoping for similar results with WMO)

PZ

It's all in the pulleys.. I opted for less pump RPMs, to help keep from putting oil through the filters with too much pressure.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Have you ever ran diesel in place of the kero?

PZ

The problem with diesel is that I am trying to match it's viscosity. Adding WMO to it, will only increase diesel's viscosity. Kerosene is a solvent and will allow me to make more fuel, for less money. The fuel I end up with, very closely matches the viscosity of #2. WMO mixed with #2 will only make the #2 thicker.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
The problem with diesel is that I am trying to match it's viscosity. Adding WMO to it, will only increase diesel's viscosity. Kerosene is a solvent and will allow me to make more fuel, for less money. The fuel I end up with, very closely matches the viscosity of #2. WMO mixed with #2 will only make the #2 thicker.

Right. I am not worried about how thick my fuel is in the summer time. I am just worried about what the diesel will do to the plastic in the set up I want to build. Maybe I will just have to go with kero, and forget diesel. You said you run about 25% kero and 75% WMO right? Is that with the heavy 20w you are getting from work, or with the automotive oil?

PZ

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Right. I am not worried about how thick my fuel is in the summer time. I am just worried about what the diesel will do to the plastic in the set up I want to build. Maybe I will just have to go with kero, and forget diesel. You said you run about 25% kero and 75% WMO right? Is that with the heavy 20w you are getting from work, or with the automotive oil?
PZ

If some of the crap I've run through my system hasn't affected the PVC, then you certainly won't have anything to worry about.

BTW: I've probably run 400 gallons of diesel through my filter system, with no ill-effects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online