pumping wmo

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
If you use an oil pump use a Big Block Chevy pump for more volume than a Small Block pump. Same basic pump just larger inlet and outlet and higher volume gearset. Just about the same price.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
ok think Im gonna go with the drill/oil pump idea just because it makes me add a 3rd drill to the collection and I can buy the higher rpm one hopefully to have it work faster

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
ok think Im gonna go with the drill/oil pump idea just because it makes me add a 3rd drill to the collection and I can buy the higher rpm one hopefully to have it work faster

I'll try to find a photo of one tomorrow and show you where to do the mods on it to simplify the set-up. Some J-B Weld, a little piece of 1/16" steel plate and a drill & tap. You can shoot a stream of oil like a fire hose...

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eagerly waiting for this. It sounds like just what I've been looking for.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score

if you could you will probably be better off with a washing machine motor or somethign similar to that. drills are not ment to be left go running for long periods of time, they are not constant duty rated.

there is a differance in pump styles some pumps like a impeller or vane pump are terrible pulling a vacume to self prime (most of the pumps here) where gear pumps (engine oil pump) or piston pumps are much better a pulling a vacume to self prime but you sacrifice some on there output.

if you need to lift oil any distance i think a gear pump is the way to go.

a little reading on pipe size and feet of head, you can also browse the cost of a decent gear pump:eek:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/308/=brrrwc

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
yes but I dont really want to invest anything that I cant use for something else just in case this dont work, keep in mind with filter and pumps I am already in this setup about $220 and I dont want to get much further into it in case I have to abort mission.

also what is the need to drill the extra holes, this pump will only be used as a transfer pump to go from tanks to barrels with no filters so why cant one just use the inlet and outlet holes already in the pump. or am I not understanding the oil pump i have never seen a sbc oil pump so that might be a stupid question....

Last edited:

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
The Chevy oil pump is drilled and tapped for fittings on the inlet and outlet. The stock pump has smooth holes. No way to attach hoses to it.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I think I scored a .5 horse 1750 rpm motor today for free!! We will have to see if it shows up! If it does it is goIng to change my set up big time!!

PZ

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I think I scored a .5 horse 1750 rpm motor today for free!! We will have to see if it shows up! If it does it is goIng to change my set up big time!!

PZ

That's the same type of motor I use with my setup. It drives the PS pump great!

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got me to thinking, so I went and pulled the oil pump out of an old 300 I-6 i have behind the house... looks different than the SBC pump, inlet/outlet are in different places, and the drive is a socket type arrangement as opposed to the stud type on the SBC pump. An innie vs. an outie. lol It takes 5/16" hex. Didn't want to cut up my good allen wrenches, so i went on grainger and found some 5/16' hex stock for 8 bucks a foot, then decided to stop in Harbor freight first, and bam, 25 piece long reach hex keys $3.99 and a pipe tap set for $8.99. Now I have to wait for my stuff to come in, butwe shall see what happens.

The only issue i see is that the pump is normally driven from the top, *** may not work well when run on it's side to accommodate coupling to an electric motor. I may have to get funky with my fabbin skills...

I'll post my progress as I get around to it. I know a SBC pump is only 15 bucks, but cant hurt to try, right?

Last edited:

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
The Chevy oil pump is drilled and tapped for fittings on the inlet and outlet. The stock pump has smooth holes. No way to attach hoses to it.

Not sure I understand that. Are you saying the aftermarket sbc oil pumps are slick and the one from chevy is tapped or vice versa?

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
The Chevy Oil Pumps are smooth. You need to tap them so you can screw fittings into them.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Not sure I understand that. Are you saying the aftermarket sbc oil pumps are slick and the one from chevy is tapped or vice versa?

Hey 'Neck,
Sorry it took so long... I actually had to work at work today... The nerve of some people.LOL Anyway, this will help with the understanding. Drilling and tapping the pump body only takes a couple minutes and makes things a lot easier to set up.

Attachments

• oilpump.jpg
    oilpump.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 101

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
That's the same type of motor I use with my setup. It drives the PS pump great!

Do you direct drive it? or does it go though a belt set up?

Also, do you pump your WMO through the filters, or do you suck it through the filters?

Seems if you pump it through, and a filter plugs, you could over pressure the system and easily end up with a very very large mess!! Seems safer to suck it through.

PZ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online