Project: The New CDD Shop Truck

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes, for my truck with a 7.3 or a 6.0 I/C running this turbo which of your pumps woud you suggest? Injectors? Would this combo drop in my truck w/o any other modification? Would I need a electric fuel pump? What about the downpipe? Would the one that you made for me be okay? In your opinion, would this be good for my intended use? Lastly, what would the cost be? I could sell the typ4 turbo, baby moose and injectors to offset some of the $$$. I'm impressed...

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wes said " and with the hydraulic advance curve these pumps have you really just want a steady inlet feed pressure that doesnt change from idle to 4000 rpms at wot. If it changes even a few psi, it will affect your timing curve."
Wes, does this mean might need to check return line pressure for changes due to restriction or changing bypass flow from IP/injectors? Maybe larger return line? Anything added here inline, like check valve, would subtract 1psi IP inlet for every psi increase in return line. Now testing check valves just received before installing.

Last edited:

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wes, having enough airflow, high enough efficiency that EGTs stay low, is a big part of what I'm looking for. I'm going to go back into your intro to turbos posts and see if I can figure out what it would take to get high efficiency from a turbo optimized for about powerstroke levels of power.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes said " and with the hydraulic advance curve these pumps have you really just want a steady inlet feed pressure that doesnt change from idle to 4000 rpms at wot. If it changes even a few psi, it will affect your timing curve."
Wes, does this mean might need to check return line pressure for changes due to restriction or changing bypass flow from IP/injectors? Maybe larger return line? Anything added here inline, like check valve, would subtract 1psi IP inlet for every psi increase in return line. Now testing check valves just received before installing.
There’s already a check valve in the IP return fitting.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes, having enough airflow, high enough efficiency that EGTs stay low, is a big part of what I'm looking for. I'm going to go back into your intro to turbos posts and see if I can figure out what it would take to get high efficiency from a turbo optimized for about powerstroke levels of power.
That would depend greatly on how much power/how much fuel you plan on running. If youre staying under 150cc peak fueling, a factory based turbo like Justin’s S257 or my T04Z is the way to go. If you’re going for more than that, I really like the GTX40 series and the S300 SXE turbos.

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where are you tapping the return line in at from the regulator? or did i miss that in different post?

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info here. Makes more sense on why to add a fuel cooler. I don't think I could get away with a fuel cooler being up north (South Dakota) gets pretty cold in the winter months.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not as necessary as it is down here, you could always bypass it during the winter.

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wes, I know there is already a check valve in IP return OEM. I meant talk of adding one, or anything else, downstream which would affect return pressure. Measuring return pressure could signal some restriction/change that would cause retarded timing.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t add an additional check valve to the return, I could see that potentially trapping air in the system and causing problems, but it would be easy enough to try.

Once I get some time I’m going to be redoing the fuel system with my fuel kit, that way I just have the single 38 gallon tank, no selector valve and -6 line for feed and return. I’ll be adding pressure sensors to the the feed and return so I can monitor that in real-time and post my findings. For most IDIs the return pressure isn’t an issue unless there is a vent issue with the tank or a clog in the line, and most aren’t running a pump like this that is almost triple stock fueling. It certainly made a huge difference removing the regulator return from the IP return, the stock lines can not handle that volume and was backing up a lot of pressure.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone needs to video one of your pulls and burnouts at the track!!!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Just an FYI. I've done alot of video and not had much luck with the GoPros lasting.

Been using a Sony FDR-X3000 for 2 years now and it's better in every way. Easier to turn on, setup and has great stabilization system. My .02.

GoPro let me down too many times.