Project: The New CDD Shop Truck

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha that's awesome, glad to hear you're feeling much better and things are running good with your shop rig!

How far out can you wind that baby up? You've got to be just about out of gears by 130mph! I guess I can do an estimated 120mph with my 3.55 and stock tires, dunno my speedo was buried straight down and I had more to go if I wanted but not much more.
I wasn’t focusing on the dash at that speed but it was definitely over 4k, which calculates to 144ish? Thanks man, glad to be doing better.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the Cummins guy wanted to race in Mexico because he thought he'd have you in top end with his big turbo? Or something else I'm missing?
Pretty amazing you were still winning launching in 2x4 vs his 4x4 to boot!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Cummins guy wanted to race in Mexico because he thought he'd have you in top end with his big turbo? Or something else I'm missing?
Pretty amazing you were still winning launching in 2x4 vs his 4x4 to boot!

Pretty much, his truck was heavier, a big quad cab lifted 4x4 on big wheels, but also a 5 spd. To get my truck to leave well, I pull up to the water box, do one rotation of the tires in first gear to get the tire wet but not throw water above the tires with a lot of wheel speed, then pull up to the edge of the burnout box slowly bring rpms up to 2000 then floor it while letting the clutch out in third while grabbing the brakes to control my acceleration, once the tires do a enough rotations to clean off and get hot, I clutch in and creep up to the light where I was launching at 2400 rpms in 2nd. I only left on a few pounds otherwise it wouldnt hook off the line and it wouldnt want to shift into 3rd if the launch wasnt smooth. I wasnt lifting between shifts and it would chirp the tires every time I shifted, but as long as it left good it wasnt spinning in third. Rear tires were at 30 psi to help get more surface area on the track and to try and limit the wheel hop on the stock rear springs, which was why I had to do the burnout in 3rd, not enough wheel speed in 2nd and it would start hopping once the tires heat up, 3rd made enough power and wheel speed it didnt have an issue. I also made sure to have a full tank of diesel to get some more weight over the rear wheels and left the tailgate in this time. Fuel pressure was set at 6 psi at idle and 2 psi at wot. Engine seemed to like that setup the best, likely because of the high drive pressure. Didnt spray it yet either, I think with a better clutch, turbo, tires and spray I could have the truck reliably in the 13s and over 100 mph, which is my goal for the truck performance wise, just want to trap over 100 in a manual daily driven IDI then I will be more than happy to keep it at that level as long as it will hold it.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much, his truck was heavier, a big quad cab lifted 4x4 on big wheels, but also a 5 spd. To get my truck to leave well, I pull up to the water box, do one rotation of the tires in first gear to get the tire wet but not throw water above the tires with a lot of wheel speed, then pull up to the edge of the burnout box slowly bring rpms up to 2000 then floor it while letting the clutch out in third while grabbing the brakes to control my acceleration, once the tires do a enough rotations to clean off and get hot, I clutch in and creep up to the light where I was launching at 2400 rpms in 2nd. I only left on a few pounds otherwise it wouldnt hook off the line and it wouldnt want to shift into 3rd if the launch wasnt smooth. I wasnt lifting between shifts and it would chirp the tires every time I shifted, but as long as it left good it wasnt spinning in third. Rear tires were at 30 psi to help get more surface area on the track and to try and limit the wheel hop on the stock rear springs, which was why I had to do the burnout in 3rd, not enough wheel speed in 2nd and it would start hopping once the tires heat up, 3rd made enough power and wheel speed it didnt have an issue. I also made sure to have a full tank of diesel to get some more weight over the rear wheels and left the tailgate in this time. Fuel pressure was set at 6 psi at idle and 2 psi at wot. Engine seemed to like that setup the best, likely because of the high drive pressure. Didnt spray it yet either, I think with a better clutch, turbo, tires and spray I could have the truck reliably in the 13s and over 100 mph, which is my goal for the truck performance wise, just want to trap over 100 in a manual daily driven IDI then I will be more than happy to keep it at that level as long as it will hold it.
Oh baby I just got taken to school and I liked it. :peelout :popcorn

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess the cats out of the bag, but the shop truck did finally get to see some real boost, one of my customer’s T04Z was just finished and when he came out to drop his engine off we swapped the T04Z into the shop truck so he could see what his same pump and turbo combo will drive like before his engine is done.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Truck nosed over 34+ psi at 4000rpms with a ton more power and noise. Much deeper tone than the stock turbo and noticeably much more top end, feels like twice as much power at 3700 rpms than with the stock turbo. Back pressure at 4000 rpms was around 50 psi, 1.31 drive pressure ratio this turbo is running very efficiently at this level and has plenty of room to grow;Sweet

Fordman1920032003

Reaction score
Looks like it spooled nicely. Wonder how the egt would act towing. I would assume an efficient turbo would maintain steady egt's

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it spooled nicely. Wonder how the egt would act towing. I would assume an efficient turbo would maintain steady egt's
It would, pressure makes heat and high drive pressure hurts exhaust scavenging. So less exhaust ends up getting out of the cylinders and they don’t get completely filled with fresh air, that added with the extra heat from excessive pressure makes for high egts, with a 1.3:1 pressure ratio boost is almost equal to drive pressure, so the exhaust can easily get out of the cylinder and flow out the turbine. With the T04Z I was only seeing 5 psi more back pressure than the stock turbo, but 17+ psi more boost, and definitely a cooler intake charge since the turbo isn’t getting oversped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online