Project: The New CDD Shop Truck

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HA! The only time my speedometer will climb that fast is first or second gear... maybe third going downhill LOL

Looks like fun!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a lot of fun, really it doesn’t need any more power, really to properly use any more power I would need more tire and gear, but I’ve got a new turbo ready to go on once I upgrade the lift pump and can turn the fuel back up, you can hear in the video the stock turbo is spinning way too fast and is already in the danger zone as far as drive pressure goes. Egts really aren’t bad, about 1000* when I shifted out of fourth, and 1150* when I let out at the top of 5th.

Did change the coolant filter again, caught a lot more crud but starting to really clear up now. Have about 9k miles on this engine already and this is the third or fourth filter change.
You must be registered for see images attach

On the subject of turbos, something I may play with before I do the turbo swap is a bolt on compressor upgrade I’ve been working on. I’ve been talking to my fab guy who is the local precision turbo/ turbonetics rep, and he said they still stock t3/t4 frame compressor covers, so I am looking into getting a few made to match our stock backing plate and already machined for a 60-1 and 62-1 wheel. I’ll get a new billet wheel for each from Garrett and bolt on the wheel and housing and see how much improvement can be made from a cheap diy upgrade like this. Here’s what the housings will look like, nice polished cover with the upgraded 4” inlet compared to the stock 2 3/4” inlet.

The turbine wheel is going to be the eventual limitor in power, but I do have a turbonetics external wastegate I will be adding to help minimize back pressure issues.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the same boost at peak but it comes on a lot sooner, I’ve gotten more boost out of the the stock turbo before but with a 130cc pump and no intercooler, but I don’t think I’ll see more than 16-17 psi out of the stock turbo intercooled, just completely out of the map at that point. I may pick up one psi by replacing this leaking intercooler and putting a larger lift pump on but the next big power improvement will be a larger charger, the lift pump should really help with timing which has been null at this point because of the fuel pressure issues.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah gotcha. Pretty wild you're getting so much power with just 2psi more boost than me! I for one would love to see that turbo mod, especially if you can find time on the dyno for a before and after. But either way would be good. :Thumbs Up

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah gotcha. Pretty wild you're getting so much power with just 2psi more boost than me! I for one would love to see that turbo mod, especially if you can find time on the dyno for a before and after. But either way would be good. :Thumbs Up
It’s all about air density, as gale Banks has been pushing a lot lately on the diesel community, the boost gauge is dead. Boost is really a poor measurement of performance because less air density correlates to higher boost numbers and less power. I typically see about 2-3psi less boost than most people because of my intake setup, instead of pulling air from under the hood through a proper filter I’ve got a 3” pipe with a screen covering the inlet pulling cool outside air. If you left your hood off and did the same, you would see a drop in boost and a increase in performance too. I’m not sold on a lot of banks products, but their data monster system is very intriguing to me, having the ability to fully data monitor a mechanical engine without computer control I think would really help push idi performance to the next level, but at the moment it’s way out of my price range. Maybe I’ll get one on the race truck next year.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last weekend I was playing with some timing adjustments, and made some runs in Mexico using the gps to map the quarter mile times to get an idea of what the engine likes, instead of going by the butt dyno, mostly looking at trap speed since that will give a better reading for performance than et, which is skewed by 60ft. Best run was 88mph, if you look at the acceleration graph you can see the time started early although I wasn’t accelerating, I must have crept forward a bit while building boost off the line. You can see on the graph that speed didn’t increase till .7-.8 seconds in, so that would have been a low 15 second, maybe even a high 14 second pass if I had aired the tires down and done a burnout to heat the tires up. I think with a turbo upgrade, a better lift pump, and some traction bars, it would be a 14 second street truck pretty reliably. With its current setup, I bet I could spray it to a high 14 if I really leaned on it. Overall, very pleased with the trucks performance, but do need to get some new rear tires soon.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For comparison, Mike Finnegan’s compound turbo, fire ring’d, studded 12v 5.9 and with PDD built 48RH at 9500# ran 15.2 at 87mph.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here’s an OBS 7.3 psd with baby swamps, cold air, 3” dp and php tunes running a 17 second pass at Milan raceway with an auto.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks David, I cannot believe the performance for buck ratio, I’ve taken a few psd guys for rides in it and it’s made a few people sell their newer trucks to build a classic that is done depreciating. Hope to see ya build another IDI soon!

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was with my 93 Single Cab Long Bed. Factory turbo kit e4od. Na pump turned up not maxed. Wastegate just unplugged. Big boost leak. Couldn't get the rear tires to not spin on line. Rear breaks were going. Buddy was in other lane with a 06 Megacab 5.9 with some generic stuff done. Even with not being able to load it up and launch hard I would always put 60ft him. Think it would have went 17s if I could have launched it. Want to get it back together and out again with my 90cc pump,new injectors, times, and have fixed the breaks. Should go 16s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx