Project: The New CDD Shop Truck

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not as pretty as the blue one that you built. Since you'll probably push it to the breaking point anyway, I guess it doesn't have to be pretty.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes what problems were you having with the exhaust manifolds?
Just bad luck, was going over every with a torque wrench and had one of the ears out the outlet on the passenger side manifold where it goes into the y pipe crack. So I pulled the whole turbo kit off and put an na manifold on and went to pull the studs out so the turbo parts can bolt on and the last stud snapped off in the manifold. So unbolted that one and pulled another manifold out and pulled the studs out of that one before installing it. Then prepped it and reinstalled the turbo kit. Took longer messing with that then putting the engine in. Ridiculous!

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s in, just need to get the trans lined up and bolted in, then it’s the last bit of piddling in the morning.
You must be registered for see images attach

Hope you had a lot less cursing and ******** than me with that endeavor today. This truck is looking good, and I'm sure everyone will give you some weird looks with an old Ford Pick up rompin on cars down the 1/4.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope you had a lot less cursing and ******** than me with that endeavor today. This truck is looking good, and I'm sure everyone will give you some weird looks with an old Ford Pick up rompin on cars down the 1/4.
Nope no cursing in this project, I do this for a living so I’ve got a pretty good method for doing engine swaps, lining up the trans is usually the toughest part, I remember my first idi engine pull and it took me probably ten times as long as it does now. These are big heavy beasts to be installing gently, and not a ton of room to get below the cowl.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
These are big heavy beasts to be installing gently,
I suppose that I'd better not mention some of the things that I used to do to get them installed then.:rolleyes:
So I pulled the whole turbo kit off and put an na manifold on and went to pull the studs out so the turbo parts can bolt on and the last stud snapped off in the manifold.
Sounds like you must have had one of the ones that had the studs with no 9/16" hex? The ones with the hex, I've never had one of those studs that I couldn't remove. I even had an old timer swear up and down that you can't remove those (on a gasser manifold). He said that he always ruined them and had to throw the manifold away. As he was saying this, I was getting out my deep 9/16" impact socket, putting it on my impact, and hooking it up to the air hose. He was speechless when I zipped the stud out of the manifold faster than he could even follow.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose that I'd better not mention some of the things that I used to do to get them installed then.:rolleyes:

Sounds like you must have had one of the ones that had the studs with no 9/16" hex? The ones with the hex, I've never had one of those studs that I couldn't remove. I even had an old timer swear up and down that you can't remove those (on a gasser manifold). He said that he always ruined them and had to throw the manifold away. As he was saying this, I was getting out my deep 9/16" impact socket, putting it on my impact, and hooking it up to the air hose. He was speechless when I zipped the stud out of the manifold faster than he could even follow.
It had a hex, just snapped right below the hex. I’ve got enough manifolds laying around that it’s easier for me just to prep a different one than spend time removing a broken stud lol

Just got back from the test drive. Feels good for untuned, vid uploading

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a little pull from 2nd through 4th
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sits about 14 psi right now, haven’t had a meter on it but I can tell it’s too advanced. Should have a bit more boost even with the leaking intercooler. Happy to be back in a 5 speed truck. This thing has so much more power than our 02 7.3 with hydra tunes.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bad luck, was going over every with a torque wrench and had one of the ears out the outlet on the passenger side manifold where it goes into the y pipe crack. So I pulled the whole turbo kit off and put an na manifold on and went to pull the studs out so the turbo parts can bolt on and the last stud snapped off in the manifold. So unbolted that one and pulled another manifold out and pulled the studs out of that one before installing it. Then prepped it and reinstalled the turbo kit. Took longer messing with that then putting the engine in. Ridiculous!

Bummer.
That's the way everything in my shop has been going for weeks. It must be contagious. I'm glad you have it going again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88