Project Stress Test

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a local lawyer that used a 77-79 Lincoln mark V. There's a lot of car out front of the radiator on those.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He had the car parked out in front of his office. He's a personal injury lawyer. And his really expensive LED sign had footage of him at the crash derby just thrashing the car, with the caption "Marcus Mchales might be crazy, but he's not stupid, don't text and drive".

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After analysis I have come to selecting 1970-77 FoMoCo.
You must be registered for see images attach
In the knight rider episode "the final verdict" there's a pretty good car chase with one of those town cars like your analyst has a picture of. It's really impressive to get that heavy car sideways, the camera is on the tire and you can see the rubber buckling. It ends with the Lincoln airborne and flipped which is a feat in itself. They must have had a mathematician calculate how fast and angle and whatever to make that thing come completely off the ground.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the engines going to be ok?...Please tell me that the engines will live to run someones truck...?
They'll be toast after the radiator is gone, but hacked had a radiator hose plugged for a while with no damages to the engine, so if he just shuts down before it gets bad it will probably be okay.

But hey, @hacked89 !!! It just struck me! YOU FINALLY FOUND A USE FOR THE DIESEL C6!!!! I bet you can get two dozen of them!

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They'll be toast after the radiator is gone, but hacked had a radiator hose plugged for a while with no damages to the engine, so if he just shuts down before it gets bad it will probably be okay.

But hey, @hacked89 !!! It just struck me! YOU FINALLY FOUND A USE FOR THE DIESEL C6!!!! I bet you can get two dozen of them!
Now you’re getting it. Lots of experiments to come. If it ran that long on no coolant flow, what if it’s looped no radiator?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be a bit to ask....

but I gotta bring it up because...maybe I am wrong...it seems that good parts are steadily dwindling for these engines and there are those of us and those that will come after us that will want and need heads and blocks , pistons and cranks, rods and cams that are useable and would last at least 200K miles to make it worth our while...

Otherwise we are stuck with having to use newer engines and their miserable effing computer systems and other needlessly complicated and expensive effing support parts...

So...here comes the question...

If you are going to purposely risk damaging good basic engine parts...

Could you at least please use parts that can work for the short time that they will be used in the demo derby but would be unsuitable for any long-term use in someones truck that they might need....?

We could take up a collection...parts left over that are not good enough to sell or use...like bulletpruf's cracked heads and someone elses block that had pitting in the #7 cylinder or cranks and rods that are not quite up to spec for the long haul...pistons that are not pristine...

There has to be enough stuff laying around that would go to a good cause such as your project...and not make it harder for the rest of us that could use a spare good engine to rebuild to find a good, useable core that has been looked at and judged as suitable for rebuilding...

I ask this not only for myself...but for others as well...

Look at the trouble Captain 720 had in getting pistons for his 6.9...

I remember Skylabtech talking about the scarcity of IDI parts around his neck of the woods...

....and I am finding that I am having the same trouble...and right now I don't have the time to commit to a full-time search for a good core and I won't have a good shelter to keep it in for at least another year...

I want to build a good foundation for a needed turbo-ed IDI for a future enterprise with my truck....I came from a locale that was relatively flat...easy for towing...and now I live in a mountainous area that has shown me the uselessness of trying to tow a trailer with a piece of equipment on it much of anywhere I might need to take it...

So....would you at least consider my suggestion...and can I implore all of the rest of the members to think about what they might want to get rid of to help you with your projects...?

Think about it...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a cavitated 7.3 I'd donate. Even though it's cavitated I'm not going to scrap it.

And I'm tracking with you @XOLATEM , but @hacked89 is pretty committed to the "IDI platform". He's already committed to using the best cars to protect our presious engines and ultimately he's wanting to see what they can tolerate. It's really no worse then the weird inventions of @IDIoit or @1mouse3 , I mean, not being negative, but when those twin turbos light off.........who knows what's going to happen? Probably nothing worse than a Chevy caprice bouncing off the side of it.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak as I do understand where you're coming from on the somewhat protected engine because of the vehicle choice, I was also involved in our local demos back in the day.

When it comes to a derby you have to decide upfront if you're in it to preserve the car and waste money. Or in it to win at all costs and possibly make enough from the winnings to cover about half of what you put into it. (Covering even that much of the cost is based on using the sbc platform which can be picked up at little to no cost)

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online