Project Stress Test

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as buying these engines, like hacked89 said, they're a dime a dozen. I wholeheartedly agree and would love to see IDIs enter the derby/Hooptie/redneck rally world.
Somewhere on the forum here there's a article about a 1,000+hp IDI engine in a bump side ford. It was a drag racer in the early 90s I think.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere on the forum here there's a article about a 1,000+hp IDI engine in a bump side ford. It was a drag racer in the early 90s I think.
Yep, Hypermax’s 1200 hp IDI…
You must be registered for see images attach

Used to be painted white, I don’t know what the story is on the vivid colors. 8 port P pump, 9:1 compression, two turbos, one HX35 and one HX50. Filled block, and a bedplate.

I’m really curious about how they kept the heads on. I know Hypermax used to make a cut fire ring kit for these engines, with special grooved prechambers…

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking as someone that is dedicated and appreciates this engine I respect the people that its valuable to but it’s really not a valuable engine big picture. These are couple hundred dollar engines before I refresh and upgrade them.

They are NA block 7.3s that often instead of getting scrapped are going to bring awareness to IDIs for people that maybe never heard of one, will be testing different things and I know it’s likely going to fail but I like trying something different and no one is using IDI or diesel cars.

Even if it was valuable, I’d still use it because for various reasons I like this engine. There’s people running $20k to $50k derby engines.
Who the bleep is dumping $20,000-$50,000 into just and ENGINE for a demolition derby?!? I'm clearly ignorant of these matters... Good Lord that's ridiculous coin.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
These engines don't like running hot or over heating so probably the last engine I'd choose for a derby car.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who the bleep is dumping $20,000-$50,000 into just and ENGINE for a demolition derby?!? I'm clearly ignorant of these matters... Good Lord that's ridiculous coin.
The upper echelon of derby’s are probably paying now the most in history. Here’s an example of king of ohio payout by place for this year:
  • What is the payout?
    • 1st: 50K
    • 2nd: 10k
    • 3rd; 5k
    • 4th: 2.5k
    • 5th: 1.5k
    • Everyone else in the feature will be paid $1,000 to pull on the track!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The upper echelon of derby’s are probably paying now the most in history. Here’s an example of king of ohio payout by place for this year:
  • What is the payout?
    • 1st: 50K
    • 2nd: 10k
    • 3rd; 5k
    • 4th: 2.5k
    • 5th: 1.5k
    • Everyone else in the feature will be paid $1,000 to pull on the track!
......86 caprice classic, HERE I COME!!!!

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
......86 caprice classic, HERE I COME!!!!
I can tell you from experience that a 78 impala won't handle much. But our rules were pretty strict, halo, external driver door bar, and welding doors and trunk were about all we were allowed.

It was fun but even working with free cars it got expensive fast.

James

Black dawg

Reaction score
These engines don't like running hot or over heating so probably the last engine I'd choose for a derby car.

These engines don't like running hot or over heating so probably the last engine I'd choose for a derby car

If anything "likes" running hot, it is an idi diesel. I would be willing to bet one would run for years as a derby car motor, with a looped cooling system.

Black dawg

Reaction score

I’m going to be experimenting with 7.3 IDI powered demolition derby cars. Will share with you all the build, the results, and what I learn. More to come.
A suggestion i would have is some heat shielding between the engine and IP. Have seen a few that were killed during engine overheat situations.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you allowed to run a piece of pipe safely out of the way to give a little cooling?

Or connect all head and block drains?

Friend of mine use to connect all the block drains to the WP and the back of engine to the bypass on the WP on his dirt track car.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you allowed to run a piece of pipe safely out of the way to give a little cooling?

Or connect all head and block drains?

Friend of mine use to connect all the block drains to the WP and the back of engine to the bypass on the WP on his dirt track car.
I don't think there is anything in the rules where I ran at that would prevent you from doing it. Problem is that when everything starts getting smashed in around engine, you have more hoses than can get broken. Then you lose all of the cooling.

We tried to element as many hoses and wires as possible and still have it function.

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup...got pretty intimate with one one time....