Project: IDI International Travelall

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just getting this baby started but going to be doing a lot of work. She came with everything but a front bumper, all glass is good except front window. It's starting to cool down so hopefully I'll be getting all of the body work done and primered by end of October.

Plans: 6.9 or 7.3 IDI (undecided which) w. ZF5 and SMF

Hydroboost

More than likely going to keep original frame, fab mounts and box it in

Convert front leaf springs to coil suspension

2008+ Superduty dash,steering wheel, and AC system... possibly door panels too if the dimensions work

Reclining rear seats for kiddos to sleep in on long trips

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Previous owners photos, how it looked when it came home with us

You must be registered for see images attach

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently gutted, tailgate is at a buddies getting new sheet metal

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The 08 super duty dash (if this is including the instrument cluster) could be a real challenge. The instrument cluster on all the super duty trucks are controlled by the PCM. So driving the gauges, if you plan to use them would take some ingenuity. Now if you are just talking the dash structure and the manual HVAC then you should be okay.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 08 super duty dash (if this is including the instrument cluster) could be a real challenge. The instrument cluster on all the super duty trucks are controlled by the PCM. So driving the gauges, if you plan to use them would take some ingenuity. Now if you are just talking the dash structure and the manual HVAC then you should be okay.
Definitely going to just use the dash and custom guages. Yeah I haven't looked into the AC system yet but couldn't imagine it needing any pcm to be ran.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very possible that it is it's own computer for the hvac, I sent my lunchbox through the hvac control on my '15 f-550 work pickup and it was it's own self contained little control module when I replaced it. It's all on the can bus, you might be in for a real rodeo trying to get all of that to work.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very possible that it is it's own computer for the hvac, I sent my lunchbox through the hvac control on my '15 f-550 work pickup and it was it's own self contained little control module when I replaced it. It's all on the can bus, you might be in for a real rodeo trying to get all of that to work.
Hahha nice, we'll see soon enough... really wanting that dash and would be nice if I can get the steering wheel controls to function for radio and climate control w. AC to work, not a deal breaker if it doesn't.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully pick up the finished product in the next day or two

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
love your truck and your powerplant plans, why switch the dash out? idi only needs a few wires to run. and hey international dash is very retro cool! superduty stuff in there will look silly......................................

keep it simple man. its cool just rolling down the road!

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
love your truck and your powerplant plans, why switch the dash out? idi only needs a few wires to run. and hey international dash is very retro cool! superduty stuff in there will look silly......................................

keep it simple man. its cool just rolling down the road!

You're probably right it won't flow.. I was just thinking about it having more of an updated/ modern interior and really dig that 08+ dash.. original dash was very rough stay tuned, won't be for awhile but hoping by early 2018 I'll get to work on that dash who knows you might like it and I might hate it by then haha

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'd keep a sharp lookout for a factory IDI turbo engine (93-94).

If it were me, I'd probably stick with the leaf suspension. Your push-pull steering should work easy with a lot of older Ford, GM, or Dodge diffs. What's the spring spacing?

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd keep a sharp lookout for a factory IDI turbo engine (93-94).

If it were me, I'd probably stick with the leaf suspension. Your push-pull steering should work easy with a lot of older Ford, GM, or Dodge diffs. What's the spring spacing?
Now you're speaking French, on a scale of 1-10 my suspension vocabulary is like a 2. I'm wanting as smooth as ride as possible, mostly going to be for travelling with minimal offroading.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Stock axles? Or getting a different front axle already setup for coils?

Your steering box can't be made to swing left/right.... which is how most coil-suspension steering is done (i.e. crossover, highsteer, etc).

I've been sitting on a set of 2007 F350 axles for 8 years or so. I'd like to get them into one of my Dodges some day. As a result, I've been studying coil suspensions a bit. ;)

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock axles? Or getting a different front axle already setup for coils?

Your steering box can't be made to swing left/right.... which is how most coil-suspension steering is done (i.e. crossover, highsteer, etc).

I've been sitting on a set of 2007 F350 axles for 8 years or so. I'd like to get them into one of my Dodges some day. As a result, I've been studying coil suspensions a bit. ;)
What do you mean spring spacing though? I ditched the Dana 44s, I have a Sterling 10.25 rear but no front axle ATM. Really not sure, might even get a donor F250 and shorten the frame.. was thinking IFS but one of the dudes said those are crap lol, I really need to get some research done on suspensions.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
How far apart are the 2 leaf springs? ...like measuring across the hood direction? I googled something that suggests its in the 31-32" range.

Maybe size up the IH frame for an IDI... if its not a good fit, like framerails too narrow or something... then it favours going to a Ford subframe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online