1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: IDI International Travelall

Discussion in 'Diesel Conversion Forum' started by idiTravelAll, Sep 24, 2017.

1. idiTravelAll

idiTravelAll Full Access Member

29" inside to inside, 34" outside to outside, springs are 2.5" wide each. What does that tell us? Lol

2. u2slow

u2slow Plan B

That's 31.5" center to center... which makes it easy to bolt in an 8-lug axle from a GM or 70's Ford. (Depending on your tcase choice) Either one plays nice with your stock steering. Longer leafs tend to ride nicer. You may want to search pirate4x4, binderplanet, ramchargercentral, and CK5 for ideas.

I'm not saying to ditch your coil-spring plans, but consider the more custom work you introduce, the longer your project could take...

idiTravelAll likes this.
  3. ShadetreeV

ShadetreeV Full Access Member

Cool project! I've got a 72' 1010 custom all original with the 345. It's tough as nails but sure has a healthy appetite for petrol. I've always wondered about doing an idi repower. Can't wait to see more progress, Keep up the good work!

idiTravelAll likes this.
  4. idiTravelAll

Thanks, project is on hold right now, tailgate is needing a little filler work, been sanding a bit here and there still keeping my fingers crossed on having it primed by end of the month.

5. idiTravelAll

Found an boatload of pods in my rocker panel.. and a shot of my beginners sheet metal work.

20200202_164136.jpg

20200216_142702.jpg

saburai likes this.
  6. idiTravelAll

Found alot of rust hiding between the inner and outer wheel wells, hacked out the old, wired wheeled, and used por15 on the backside. Still working on the metal work but I'm liking how it looks without the lip..

20200206_205326.jpg

20200206_205458.jpg

u2slow likes this.
  7. idiTravelAll

Got some primer laid down this weekend, had some major issues with spray gun (1.8mm) did not want to spray this stuff... 100 psi and it wouldn't come out, reduced it 5% gun was just spitting, 15% it was coming out like rattle can and wouldn't fan out, last 2 qts. I sprayed mixed 30oz :8oz reducer @ 60psi and it was fanning out decently, ordered a 2.5mm gun for round 2 after I scuff this up and seam seal the heck out of it.

20200329_232444.jpg

20200329_232435.jpg

ShadetreeV and Ironman03R like this.
  8. idiTravelAll

I drilled 1 1/4" holes ontop of the rocker panels I'm probably going to load them up with grease or wmo.. also cut square holes in the sides of the air vents up near the firewall for cabin filters, Im separating the louvers from the side vents.. louvers will feed cool air to my turbo.

9. idiTravelAll

Primer is Corotech v150 gray polyamide epoxy, very light nearly white and sands pretty easily

10. idiTravelAll

Going to spray it in "Tyrol Blue" tinted raptor liner to hide my mediocre body work and added durability :Thumbs Up I figure something this big and ugly isn't meant to be pretty anyhow haha. Gonna raptor the undercarriage black and interior all light gray aswell.

Dane Rickford likes this.
  11. Ironman03R

Ironman03R Full Access Member

Looking good

idiTravelAll likes this.
  12. idiTravelAll

Alot of prep.. no fun.. got alot more primer laid out this weekend.. man do I hate sanding and wiping down everything with w&g remover... seam sealer almost finished to just have to seam seal the undercarriage.. was real fun spraying the bottom even with paint cup only half filled it was spilling all over.

Going to sand everything, brush on some touch ups, sand touch ups for the last round of fun 20200504_140849.jpg 20200504_140928.jpg 20200504_140933.jpg 20200504_140951.jpg 20200504_141005.jpg , spray single stage in the jams/ firewall/ underhood/ fenderliners, spray raptor underneath this behemoth, then start working on getting the donor drivetrain shortened and cab swapped over.

saburai and Thewespaul like this.
  13. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

Wow, that’s a lot of work. It’s going to look great!

idiTravelAll likes this.
  14. idiTravelAll

Thanks man, as long as I dont get pissed and roll it down the driveway on those stilts! Haha yeah, i dont see how people do these projects single handedly without a lot of time and money... this is way more work than I anticipated undoubtedly not sure I would have started this project if I'd have know beforehand. Definitely going to get more hands on deck for any future projects.