Project Idea, IDI powered car

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW, with description, the first thing that popped into mind was the car, from the movie "The Car" (70's B-flick cheesy low budget, "horror" movie with a really cool modified Lincoln, freaky car........)

Nah, the lincoln in "The Car" movie looked kind of goofy.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'd be shooting more for the "Interceptor" from "Mad Max".

But it would probably end up more like the car from "Wheels of Terror".LOL

But I still think a IDI diesel powered 2dr car with a 5spd would be fun as hell and cool too!:D;Really

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just popping in here to say that the older Lincolns with suicide doors may not be good for this. My friend in HS had a Continental, and if you opened all four doors and took a step back you could see the frame SAGGING in the middle! Although it would be epic, I don't know if it could handle the torque...best of luck to anyone trying this!
That's most likely cause they gots no frame...ya that's rigt nadda...it's a efn unibody....grrr

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my two cents
pick a stock 460 car the weight difference aint much and if you need to lowrider it by sandbagging or lowering the rear thatd be cool while something with a 5.0 will need better springs for sure and the frame may not support the weight i wouldnot go with anything unibody

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The Car" was awesome. It doesn't look goofy. It looks creepy. Like the blob on wheels. LOL

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my two cents
pick a stock 460 car the weight difference aint much and if you need to lowrider it by sandbagging or lowering the rear thatd be cool while something with a 5.0 will need better springs for sure and the frame may not support the weight i wouldnot go with anything unibody

The 79+ LTD/Crown Vic/Grand Marque/Towncar aka Panther chassis cars have a very stout fully boxed perimeter frame ( no unibody! ). Coil springs on all four corners. They have a 4 link rear suspension.

There have been a few guys that have swapped 460's into them. So I don't see any big issues with swapping in the IDI diesel.

for the "interceptor" look, i would think that the gran torino would be a good choice

I'm not trying to copy the body of the "interceptor". Just the build style: Blacked out, jacked up rear, big rear tires and possibly a rear spoiler.

"The Car" was awesome. It doesn't look goofy. It looks creepy. Like the blob on wheels. LOL

Toss the goofy front bumper, hide the headlights and black out the rest of the chrome and it would look much better!:D

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
The Town Car would be awesome, if the IDI fit under the hood. Putting it through the hood would kinda ruin the effect.

OR, you could do as Warden and I have done ( and maybe some others...
Mercedes W126 with the legendary 5 cylinder diesel a 300SD
Some of the latter ones have driver and passenger airbags. ANY of them have a solid, carved from granite feel. Powered by a mechanical IP... Could we get a Moosed Mercedes?

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why does everyone want it done in big old cushy land yacht!LOL I'm talking a stripped down gutted performance car.;Really Everyone else is thinking a big old slow and low cruiser.:D

If I wanted a mercedes I'd just buy a benz to start with.;p:moon:LOL:D

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
My Dmax with overdrive and 3.73s gets 13-15, once 17, the 6.9 with a T19 and 4.11 crew cab dualie 12.5-14 once driving slow 19, the Dmax wins for power, but economy, the higher compression N/A with a light puff from a hair dryer seems to win fuel economy.

Hmm. My '06 LBZ gets 20 on the highway (unloaded) all the time. Had as high as 23.

Tom

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Awwwww, no big land yacht? I was gonna say, a 69 Thunderbird would be PERFECT! This topic makes me think of that article I saw with a Foxbody mustang that had a 3 cylinder I think Yanmar in it.

You must be registered for see images

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i like the look of that car from wheels of terror. cut down front bumper and curled hood like that looks mean.