Project Idea, IDI powered car

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
:rotflmao

My '66 Impala SS may have a Duramax some day. Considered a 7.3 IDI for a long time to stay with the old muscle car feel and sound. :sly However, I think the DMax will win out for ultimate power and economy. I'm thinking I could pull in 35 Mpg in a car that light (well lighter than a 7K truck anyway) and still pull 12-13's in the quarter...mostly stock. Now about that time and money thing...

Tom

My Dmax with overdrive and 3.73s gets 13-15, once 17, the 6.9 with a T19 and 4.11 crew cab dualie 12.5-14 once driving slow 19, the Dmax wins for power, but economy, the higher compression N/A with a light puff from a hair dryer seems to win fuel economy.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I've been lerking around latelly for parts truck that might be diesels, I'd keep the engine in running condition for a next project witch would be any 75-79 Lincoln Continental or 73-78 Mercury Marquis IDI cruiser!

That would make a fantastic cruising boat!

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My idea is to take one of these (same chassis as the Town car ) .

You must be registered for see images attach

And build it to resemble this style wise ( minus the quad exhaust tips LOL ) .

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YOU ARE ALL EVIL!!!!!!!!!! I saw this and all of you got me thinking about the spare 7.3 I have with a c-6 and the I believe it's a 74 Lincoln my friend has with the blown up engine. Reason all of are evil is because I just called him and traded one of my small welders for the car. Now I have to explain to the wife why I have a Lincoln now.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Just popping in here to say that the older Lincolns with suicide doors may not be good for this. My friend in HS had a Continental, and if you opened all four doors and took a step back you could see the frame SAGGING in the middle! Although it would be epic, I don't know if it could handle the torque...best of luck to anyone trying this!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is that TC only going for $900?

BTW, this is just me, but I'm a big fan of the sleeper look...IMHO keep it looking as close to bone-stock on the outside as possible :D

I have no idea why, called the guy but he was closing for the day (Saturday at 4PM). Gonna go look at it Monday Dec. 6.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
david85
Your correct on the trannies. Only Lincoln I ever owned was a 69.

C-6
Production 1966–1996
Class 3-speed longitudinal automatic transmission
Predecessor Cruise-O-Matic
Successor E4OD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C6_transmission

Lincoln is the luxury brand of Ford Motor Company. Founded in 1917 by Henry M. Leland and acquired by Ford in 1922, Lincoln has manufactured vehicles since the 1920s. Leland named the brand after his longtime hero Abraham Lincoln.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Just popping in here to say that the older Lincolns with suicide doors may not be good for this. My friend in HS had a Continental, and if you opened all four doors and took a step back you could see the frame SAGGING in the middle! Although it would be epic, I don't know if it could handle the torque...best of luck to anyone trying this!

Was it rusty under the carpet?

They did come with big blocks, plenty of torque from the factory!

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Was it rusty under the carpet?

They did come with big blocks, plenty of torque from the factory!

Maybe it was, I never looked. I thought it was strange, but I just figured that the lack of a pillar between the doors meant it only had strength with the doors closed, and most people wouldn't drive it down the road with the doors open, and Ford didn't want to add any more weight to the beast to fix the issue...but I guess if it could handle a BB gasser...
All I know is that car I saw was also pretty slow.

94IDIT

Reaction score
My personal dream has always been to drop an IDI and an E4 in a 73-79 4 door continental. Hopefully get some decent mileage.... b/c I can't afford to drive a 460.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My idea was more of a muscle car type deal not just a daily driver.:D

I want to build mine like the cars I remember when I was a kid. All the "cool" guys had the muscle cars with the jacked up rear end and big wide tires.:D

I really like the looks of the 2dr Crown vics/LTD. I want one black on black, dark tinted windows, blacked out chrome/trim. Some American racing Torque thrust D rims and a Mustang Boss 429 hoodscoop.

WOW, with description, the first thing that popped into mind was the car, from the movie "The Car" (70's B-flick cheesy low budget, "horror" movie with a really cool modified Lincoln, freaky car........)