Project Idea, IDI powered car

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the point of the link to isuzuswapper?

Familiar with the page, and carcrafter and I IM about a 4bd in mah twuk reglar like.

Found one for $500, complete w/accesories, bell and 2wd 5 speed trans, no turbo....

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
either gonna run my current set up, via gm adapter, as he doesn't have Ford done yet, or run the whole Suzie drivetrain, and then a divorced 205. If I go that route, guess I will have to figure out the intricacies of a t-case, and installt he 3:1 kit.I like the way my 1356 performs.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i kinda had the same idea.i was thinkin about rippin the psd outta my truck and stuffing it into the 87 wannabe grand national i got screwed out of.good thing i didnt start doin it.heads woulda rolled.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isuzu :dunno next time you pull up next to an Isuzu NPR roll your window down and take a listen, nothing like the Oh My God Is That Thing Going To Blow Up of the Cummins, quiet and smooth and rebuildable ;Sweet

Reason I asked is the cummins 4BT is rattly simply because of it's L4 configuration and displacement. Any 4 liter engine with 4 cylinders inline is going to be rough. 4 poppers are in general rough engines compared to V6 / V8 (or higher) or inline six engines.

Almost any passenger car with an inline four engine and a displacement above roughly 2L will have silent balance shafts to eliminate this. I was wondering if the isuzu had something clever like that.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite possibly, both the 4 and 6 cyl Suzie engines are reportedly Smoother than their Cummins counterparts, the 4cyl is reported to be quieter nd smoother than the 6 cyl cummins, and the 6 is supposed to be silky, for a diesel.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I found is they are indirect injected - at least some of them were:dunno

Can't find any solid info on the timing set to be sure if it does have balance shaft(s) but it does appear to be a gear driven engine with a cast iron head. All good things to have;Sweet

The sleeve system is also pretty neat too.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the IDI came into play past 91, some 91 4bd's were IDI, x-over year. Why they crippled it like that, I have no idea. THink it might had to do with Moose's theory an IDI is smoother and quieter than a DI.. I have no idea.