Project Black Stallion

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the a/r from a t3 mount to a t4 mount is comparable. I think I remember hearing that a t3 of the same a/r was actually a little tighter when compared to a t4. I could be wrong though. I also wonder if the twin scroll housing is what helps Elijah to have similar boost as you do even though he has a little less fuel.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s correct, a/r is just a ratio so t3 and t4 will be different. T3 will be a good bit tighter since the footprint is smaller

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s correct, a/r is just a ratio so t3 and t4 will be different. T3 will be a good bit tighter since the footprint is smaller
I’m not sure that the actual snail is any smaller. If you look at this link it shows how it’s measured. Anything before getting to that center point (i.e. the flange) is inconsequential as far as a/r goes. Not to say it couldn’t be a restriction. Given that the banks up pipe is t3 that may be hurting me as much as anything. Dunno.

Two leading options would be to measure pressure drop across the IC to determine if it’s the problem or just switch to the thicker core IC of the same footprint. I pulled the flow chart on it and for the guys pushing 10-15 psi, it’s probably dandy. At higher pressures (flows) I may be taking a beating on it.

What I really need is data to make an educated decision.

Sorry for the hijack.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the a/r from a t3 mount to a t4 mount is comparable. I think I remember hearing that a t3 of the same a/r was actually a little tighter when compared to a t4. I could be wrong though. I also wonder if the twin scroll housing is what helps Elijah to have similar boost as you do even though he has a little less fuel.
Twin scroll housing makes sense on like a hypermax plumbing where the banks are divided all the way to the turbo. At least that’s my understanding. If you are bringing the two sides together pre turbo, it would seem not so much.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually curious what the exhaust back pressure is. I'v thought of putting a gauge in just to see if my new system is as efficient as I hope. I realize you'll never get a 1:1 boost to back pressure ratio, but the closer the better. I'm also curious what your pressure drop is too from one side of the intercooler to the other @laserjock

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twin scroll housing makes sense on like a hypermax plumbing where the banks are divided all the way to the turbo. At least that’s my understanding. If you are bringing the two sides together pre turbo, it would seem not so much.

Well mine and Elijah's trucks are the moose boost system so they are Hypermax based with the dual up pipes vs yours with the banks setup.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually curious what the exhaust back pressure is. I'v thought of putting a gauge in just to see if my new system is as efficient as I hope. I realize you'll never get a 1:1 boost to back pressure ratio, but the closer the better. I'm also curious what your pressure drop is too from one side of the intercooler to the other @laserjock

I have kinda wanted to get readings on both sides of all that stuff but loose interest with the amount of gauges.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have kinda wanted to get readings on both sides of all that stuff but loose interest with the amount of gauges.

Yeah I'm running out of real estate for more gauges without it starting to look like a cockpit, lol! Not gonna lie I contemplated putting an exhaust back pressure gauge in the glove box so I could see it when I wanted and hide it when I didn't.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I may have my buddy weld bungs in the charge pipes. Could check temps and pressures. That’s lower on the list just because....well... it runs pretty good right now. LOL

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I may have my buddy weld bungs in the charge pipes. Could check temps and pressures. That’s lower on the list just because....well... it runs pretty good right now. LOL

Yeah that kind of stuff is lower on my list to, haha! Lots of other small things need buttoned up first.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean I figure most of you guys have the same problem as I do. I already have 7 guages, and I dont want to rebuy what I already have, but I may end up doing that, going to a edge cts 2 insight and then all gauges can be monitored from one location, alot cleaner, and you can use your existing sensors with the 12 volt kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller

Staff online